Dummy Battery/DC Coupler

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Jun 4, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Has anyone ever come across a dummy battery DC coupler for Olympus, similar to this:

This would be very handy for long exposures, time lapse etc, where longer battery life is required. I've searched everywhere and can't find any for the latest Olympus cameras.

2. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Ufortunately not - plus you would need to keep the battery flap open because there's no groove or hole to put the cable through.

What would work better would be if someone owning the AC-* adapter (older ones use the same connector and work with OM-D) identified the connector and if it was available from third parties, then a battery pack could be made. But yes, the DC input is only found in the grip.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The battery cover, on the E-M1 at least, is removable, so that wouldn't be such an issue. I'm just surprised that these things are available for the weirdest assortment of cameras, even Olympus, yet not for something like the OM-Ds.

4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    You could fabricate your own if you could make something that has the same profile as the BLN-1 pack and have the terminals wired up and soldered to a DC jack...
    Or buy a cheap pack, carefully open it up and desolder and remove the packs inside...

Or you could buy an AC adapter. That latter option is way easier at this point.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That thought has occurred to me, but I've done something similar before and it ends up costing more, isn't as effective and falls apart with mild use. Years ago, I made one of these battery eliminators for an Icom UHF (before anything like this was available on eBay), it cost more than the $25 these now cost and always played up, so I don't want to go through that again (especially with an expensive camera):

[​IMG]

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Surprisingly, the Stylus 1 that uses the BLS-5 battery has a rubber tab insert in the battery cover, so that to me would indicate there should be a dummy battery for external power usage somewhere. The PENs (except E-P5) use the same battery, so I wonder if they also have this insert in the cover? Maybe I should try searching for details on it.

7. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    The grip for the EM5 also have a rubber flap with conections for external power...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I took apart one of the crap aftermarket batteries that started to fail and the connections look simple enough, but I think it needs some careful evaluation and then picking the right battery to connect externally. I was thinking of one of thoe LIPO batteries used for remote control cars etc, as they tend to be set up for this sort of application, as they come with all the power out connections as well as well as charging connection.

9. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    I have one of those AC-3 AC adaptors so I can run my EM-1 from the grid. Unfortunately it's one of those things I use so rarely that I generally forget that I have it when I actually get in a situation where it could be useful.

I guess one could get one of them and just use the connector and build some battery thing that provides the same 9v DC. Or just see if that same connector is available from somewhere else. I guess it wouldn't be rocket science.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The problem with the E-M1 AC adapter is that you need the Olympus grip. Earlier 4/3 bodies could be connected directly without the grip.

11. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The e-m10 battery cover also has the same rubber tab that someone mentioned is present in the stylus. So clearly the camera has been designed to accept a dummy battery coupler.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic:

image-1866834545.

12. DevilzGtr

DevilzGtr Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    I read that the Official Olympus AC-1 adapter works for products that support the AC-3 adapter.
    The AC-1 is rated at 9v 2500mAh
    The AC-3 is rated at 9v 3000mAh

I found a third party copy of the AC-1 on Amazon and ebay.
    It is rated at 9v 1700mAh.
    Would this be compatible with the E-M1's battery grip?
    How much mAh does the E-M1 draw/require?

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You would want to make certain that Olympus has retained the same plug configuration (connector), as those adapter are listed for 4/3 bodies. The adapters shown are 9V 1.7A (not 1700 Ah). These are power converters, much like what you would attach to a laptop or the like. The capacity would most likely be adequate, but again, you have to make sure of the connector.

14. DevilzGtr

DevilzGtr Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Sorry I wrote it as mAh, and it should be Amp as you said. I don't know too much about the terms used for power sources (I will read about it now :)).
    Anyhows, according to 2 sources (dpreview and e-group). The connector for the AC-1 is the same as the AC-3 and the only difference is the Ampage.