Dumb? Reducing # of Lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scott0487, Mar 8, 2013.

1. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    I have fallen prey to something I really never thought I would -- I have GAS and have found myself with probably more lenses than I need or want to be bothered with out in the world. With that in mind, I thought it would be good to start reducing them (sort of).

I have an E-M5 and the following lenses:

O 9-18
    PL 25
    O 45
    O 60
    O 14-150 (my feeling lazy lens)

My initial plan would be to sell the O 45 and O 60 and buy the PL 45. I love them both but am thinking I could get the focal distance of the 45 (which I love) and similar macro of the 60 with the PL 45. That would save me one lens in my bag make things a little less complicated. The weather resistance of the O 60 is not really important. Anyone with experience with any of these lenses have any thoughts? Any downside to that other than the loss in resale and transactions costs?

Ultimately, I would love to get the O 75 (in which case I would sell the 14-150 and stop being lazy), but that has to be a ways off. Then I would end up with three great primes and a nice wide zoom and be done forever buying gear. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Sorry this is a bit rambling.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Do you do a lot of macro? I have a $75 Canon FD macro lens. The legacy macro lenses are pretty darn sharp, and ready to go even wide open. I also have an FD 50mm 1.4 when I want that focal lenght. The 1.4 needs to be stopped down to 2.0 to sharpen up, but then it's not too far from the 45/1.8. I've got probably $150 tied up in those two lenses, which leaves me funds for other stuff. YMMV.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Other than the weather resistance of the O60 you'd also be sacrificing a bit of speed at 45mm. As long as you're okay with that, then this seems like a reasonable decision to me.
  4. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Thank you both for your responses. DeeJayK, thanks for raising the speed issue; I forgot to mention that I am ok with the PL45 being slower. WT21, I like to do macro and want to have that capability (which is why I bought the O 60) and appreciate your thoughts. I have moved away from legacy lenses and want to stick with native ones. Thanks again.
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I think the question pretty much boils down to: do you use them all? If you've got lenses you're not using then sure, why not unload them and get something you do use. Everyone is different, but personally I have a goodly collection of lenses - basically, a set of zooms, and a set of primes. I just mix and match for whatever I happen to be doing that day. There's no reason to carry every lens you have, so if your main complaint is too many lenses in the bag, you could always just leave a couple home :wink: If you just don't like owning a lot of lenses or having too much choice, then I'd say sure, why not get the PL 45 and stick to a small selection of good primes.

For other systems like my Nikon gear, I have just 2 primes and one zoom, and I often head out with just a single 28mm lens. So I totally understand the enjoyment of a very small set of choices and encouraging yourself to work within that framework, carry less, etc. But, if you're legitimately using your 3 primes and 2 zooms you have now, then I wouldn't see a reason to dump some of them.

Disclaimer: I'm horrible at taking my own advice, and I have way more gear than I actually need. So feel free to take this with appropriate amounts of salt :biggrin:
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Oh, and if it helps with your decision any: the PL 45 is a great lens. I really liked the Oly 60 for the short time I used it but I decided I didn't need both and the PL 45 won out for the more useful general use focal length and I really liked the character of the lens in terms of contrast and rendering.
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    You have nothing. Stop fretting it and just go take some pictures.

If you sell the two lenses and buy the PL45 you won't get a lot of money back and you'll have a macro that's not quite as sharp and a 45mm that's nearly two stops slower than what you have now.

if you're desperate to sell something sell the "lazy" lens. Then you can't be lazy and you'll become an even better photographer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    IMO, if you don't take a lot of macro shots, sell the O60 and buy an inexpensive set of extension rings for your O45 (which you can use with any lens), or alternately something like a used Nikon 55/2.8 or 3.5. Macro is really the realm of manual focus anyway.

...and five lenses is not GAS.
  9. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Please tell that to my wife!!!

How many lenses do you have to have before you are clinically diagnosed with GAS?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Rather than sell anything now, I'd get out and try to use the gear you have more. Both the Oly 45 and 60 are great lenses, the Pany 45 macro is a reasonable compromise but selling those two to get it seems like a step backwards. If anything, I'd vote for selling the Oly 60 and getting a longer legacy macro and a flash to use with it (just my $0.02, you already said you didn't want to go legacy...).
  11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Having too many lenses is like having too much money, a nice problem to have ;)

Though having too many lenses helps take care of too much money :p

That said what if you buy the PL45 and decide you prefer the O45 and O60? If you can afford it I would recommend getting the PL45 and try it and then sell what you don't want.

Of course you will likely end up liking all of them ...
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    More than you use. Could be 2; could be 22.
  13. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

That is a nice set of lenses. If you just stop there with acquisition, and just go out with them, then ... [what other people said, above]

14. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    One more?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You'll know that you have too many lenses when you have lenses that you aren't using.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. FRAN

FRAN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    México DF, MÉXICO
    Sell O45, O60 and O14-150 and get the PANA 35-100:

O 9-18, PL 25 and P 35-100 it's going to be a perfect set of lenses. I was in a similar situation, and now with 14, 25 and 35-100 feel much more better..

Good luck with the decision!
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You only have 5 lenses and they all complement each other. There is nothing to reduce. Unless you get the 75mm/1.8, then you can get rid of the superzoom, but you already know that. You need that 75mm, so get to it! Who says you need to reduce your lenses? You still have more to get!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I think shooting for a while with what you have is better than perseverating. Then go back and see if you still want the other lens. Looks like a nice complement as it stands.
  19. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    With the 45 macro you will have to get closer to your subject, that might be a problem or not, depending on your subjects.

As for the 14-150; a long standard zoom like this can be the best option for events, parties and stuff like that (zooming is faster than changing lenses). I have one standard zoom, and don't use it much, but when I do, it is the only way to get things done completely.

I have a case in which I keep the camera gear I do not use often (like in my case the standerd zoom). If a lens would stay in that case for 2 years, without use, it would be time to sell it.
  20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Not dumb reducing your lenses if you have ones that sit there unused. A good lens will always fetch reasonable dollars when sold, especially if you're confident and patient during the sale.

So think of your lenses as being on a low-cost rental; one where you get to possess them for a long time. In that regard, the seldom-used lens is good to have around for the periodic moments they're needed.