Dumb question about 14-42II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by demiro, Apr 16, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I just received this lens today. A refurb. Looks great and seems to take photos with no issues, but I'm wondering if the locking mechanism is working properly.

With the lens in the closed position, and the switch in locked position the lens turns easily to the 14mm position. As the lens turns the switch slowly slides to the unlocked position. When it hits 14mm the switch slides back to locked, there is an audible click, and the lens is locked from being turned back from 14mm to closed position. The switch functions to slide the lens back to closed position.

I previously had the original 14-42 and I just don't remember it working like this. I'm pretty sure I should need to use the switch to move lens from closed position.

Does this question even make sense? Please confirm lens is not working correctly, or I am just being paranoid.

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, the lock is to prevent the lens from collapsing during use, not to prevent you from extending it from the collapsed position. The older lens should have worked in the same way.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    That sounds like it is work correctly. The switch is only used to allow you to collapse the lens (to move from 14mm to closed). It does not prevent you from extending the lens from collapsed position, which is good because that's one less thing you need to do when you're rushing to get a shot. From closed you can rotate right to extended, but from extended you must hold the switch at 14mm to close it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks guys -- it is working perfectly then. I swear my old 14-42 was not the same, but I'm guessing my memory is playing tricks...