Dull photos taken by the G3 when viewed in the computer

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by krijtin, Jan 9, 2012.

1. krijtin

krijtin Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    When viewed via the LCD of the camera, my photos look nice. But when viewed using my laptop, most - if not all - of the photos has this dull look, as if it lost the color details.

I tried shooting photos again, viewed it in the camera (looks good), put it in my laptop (looks bland), then viewed in again on the G3 (looks good).

What's wrong? I'm pretty sure my laptop is not the issue.

To the G3 owners, can you guys share your camera settings?
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Probably a matter of calibration. Your LCD is set to give more saturated colors than your monitor. Not an uncommon problem. Best approach would be to tune your camera settings to get the output that looks best on the computer, not on the camera.

(Or, if you're shooting RAW, the RAW converter is using its own defaults).

3. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Hmm, are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? If you're shooting in RAW then it might explain it as the camera LCD will not show the RAW image but instead shows a processed JPEG image based upon the RAW data. Your laptop will show the RAW Master-image which, although containing much more data, may well look a bit bland and need some additional processing to get it to look its best.
  4. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.

We each have the same question, what are you shooting raw or jpg? When you bring a photo into your computer, it will need sharpening and you monitor may need calibration. Somewhere along the line we all hear how much cheaper digital was going to be, but it isn't. That said, once you get your computer calibration equipment (you need to re calibrate about once a month) you don't need to respend that money, and film cost so much more. If you are using a program like LR3, you can make those images sparkle. There is so much more information in each of those raw files than in the jpg. It does have a learning curve, but there are those here who can help.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
  5. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Did you set the colorspace on the G3 to adobe-RGB? If so, put it back on sRGB. Most jpg viewers (and print shops, for that matter) don't support adobe-RGB.
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    i also dial down the lcd brightness.
  7. krijtin

krijtin Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I'm shooting JPEGs so far. I guess the culprit is the LCD monitor. I dialed down the LCD brightness to the lowest setting and I noticed improvement when I view the photos in my laptop.