1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dublin Bay cloudscapes

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Tilman Paulin, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    since we moved into our house in Dublin six weeks ago, the bay and its ever changing clouds are my most photographed subject (we haven't had the time or energy yet to explore anything of the country).
    Here's some collected impressions (two of those are from my phone camera - so not entirely a 43rds post :) )

29675410744_46bd09e61b_h. rise and shine :) by tilman paulin, on Flickr

29601670183_7a56fc4781_b. morning clouds by tilman paulin, on Flickr

30238597531_2d609f9fe1_b. Friday morning by tilman paulin, on Flickr

29420947444_32a27af3e6_b. Saturday evening walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

29514507076_f8a98a29d3_c. Thursday evening... by tilman paulin, on Flickr

29629859260_a7db145638_k. Untitled by tilman paulin, on Flickr

-

• Like Like x 29
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Great photos! My wife and I are moving from Ukraine to Dublin before the end of the year, I think the sea will be one of my most-often photographed subjects.

3. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks Pavel! All the best for the move then and looking forward to your photos! Maybe we can even meet up for a Guinness (not really a beer drinker myself :) ) or coffee or something once you guys are settled in!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Thank you! I don't really drink alcohol myself (maybe a couple of bottles of wine a year), but coffee sounds very good! And as a hiker, I'm looking forward to exploring Ireland's nature trails.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    That sounds similar to my wife and me... We'll figure something out! :)

6. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Thanks for these, I once lived in an apartment with a view of Dublin bay so they brought back some good memories. I have found that the nice thing about Dublin Bay is that its shape means you can get interesting light in several directions (compared to much of the rest of the east coast of Ireland where you can get nice sunrises but it is often harder to get interesting skies for the rest of the day).

If you haven't already done so, check out the views of the bay from above, from both Killiney Hill and Howth Head - both really nice walks. There are quite a few photos of the bay in my Dublin gallery (Dublin City and County by Alan Grant), maybe a few ideas for both you and Pavel.

Just don't get too distracted by photography and lose your bearings at low tide - I once watched as a couple got cut off on a sandbank while taking their dogs for a Sunday morning stroll - it took two helicopters to rescue them. It all ended OK but it was quite scary as it happened.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  7. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks Alan! Much appreciated!
    We haven't walked too much out into the bay at low tide yet (still have to buy us some wellies or more appropriate shoes). But that's good advice!
    (I'm sure we can find the tide tables somewhere online too - should get into the habit of looking at those... )

Thanks for the link to your galleries too. Just had a quick look right now and I love the cyclist and his dog in the water (Seapoint Strand). Wonderful photo.
    Will browse a bit more thoroughly later. :)
    Cheers!

8. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    • Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Thanks Alan! There are some very nice shots in that gallery!

10. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Wow, oh, wow! Holy flippin' wow!

I consider myself a connoisseur (and seeker of) sky shots. That is an absolutely lovely series.

But that very first one -- rise and shine, maybe? -- is a show stopper. It takes my breath away.

Don't you just love how dynamic the sky is? It's the greatest show off earth.

Cheers, Jock

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thank you, Jock! :)

13. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    • Winner Winner x 4