1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Dubai with the GF1

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Iansky, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    We have just returned from a week in Dubai visiting our daughter - I took the GF1 with 20/14-45/45-200 and admit to using and loving the 45-200 the most for this trip.

I wanted to take images that were natural and captured more of the individuals but capitalised on the focal length and bokeh of the lens coupled with the small footprint and light weight of the body/lens combination - I used the EVF for all images with the 45-200 and it was superb.

I have posted quite a few images on the gallery and the full set are on my blogsite, but here are a small selection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Ian for these series. Great work. Shot 2 I like most.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Many thanks Ian! The only problem is now I will want to spend my morning looking through your photos, rather than buckling down.:biggrin:

(The more I read and see of this lens, the more I think I would like to have one.)

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks both for the comments.

I would recommend having a look at my blogsite for the full range of 88 images - I am fast running out of gallery space on this site so will have to review images for deletion/post fewer!

Enjoy,
    Ian

5. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Very nice set Ian. It's great to see the "other side" of Dubai, rather than the publicity shots. Most people in your pics appear to be migrant workers from the sub-continent (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc). Cheers.

6. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Super set of photographs. I looked through those on your blog and thought they were terrific. The GF1 and lenses really is a superb outfit.

When I was last in Dubai it was so dusty that most of my pics were pretty dull :frown:

7. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Ian
    Quality shots there mate.

The shoes is my favem I never seem to think of shots like that.

I like the bokeh in the portraits to, were they with the 45/200?

Thanks for posting

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thank you all for the kind comments.

Sabesh, I wanted to capture the "Real workers" of Dubai who live on the boats and around the Creek loading and transporting supplies/goods by sea - it was very humbling, they have little, work incredibly hard yet are always jolly and friendly and I made sure I showed them the photos I took of them and in all cases they had a big smile and thanked me..............that puts life in perspective!

Glenn, you are right, Dubai is very dusty from the cement off the construction sites - the only places that are free of dust are near water so I favoured the Creek (because of the people/history) and the beach (as directed by "Er indoors") - if you look at the images on my blogsite, you can see the dust in the nightime images taken of the new Burj Khalifa and the harbour at JBR - you can even taste it!

Phil, I always try and throw a couple of abstracts in just to break the pattern, on my blogsite I have put in 4 - red flowers/bicyle seat covered in cloth scarf/anchor and the brass kettle - they all appealed to me for their own reasons and breaks with the human element that runs through the Dubai images.

Again, thank you all for looking at the images and to confirm, the only images NOT taken with the 45-200 were the night shots and those inside Yas hotel and the Malls, all the portraits/creek/beach and Yas shots were with the 45-200 a great lens.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  9. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

Hello Ian, subcontinental people are among the friendliest and most of them don't mind getting their picture taken. Good to see "natural" pictures of them.

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Dubai to me is a photographers dream with it's mix of ancient and modern, cultures, nationalities and life styles.
    If offers an opportunity to take some great character studies.
    I felt completely safe and at home walking the streets with the GF1 as it is not "in your face" like my previous big DSLR and there were no suspicious glances thrown my way.

11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Ian, thank you so much for these - and for your blog photos, too.

I've never been to Dubai and the chances are very slim that I will. It's such a wonderful gift to be able to see places so foreign or familiar with the help of the Internet and great photographs. Learning the background of the different settings and people as to who they are and what they were doing is particularly important to me, too. As a world of people from so many different countries and cultures, we need to know each other better to be able to live together in better harmony and photographs such as yours help us on our way. Many thanks, Ian!