Dual IBIS with Panasonic G9

Hello all,

I have been using my Panasonic 100-400mm with my OM-D E-M1 MkII with good result. And not all shots keepers handheld. I do realize that the lens is somewhat slow to begin with!

Just wondering if I would see a big difference with the G9 dual IBIS. I have been debating on what would be a good second body for some time now and the G9 looks like a great camera.

I think that would be my best birding combo!

Thanks

ronnin

New to Mu-43
Hello all,

I have been using my Panasonic 100-400mm with my OM-D E-M1 MkII with good result. And not all shots keepers handheld. I do realize that the lens is somewhat slow to begin with!

Just wondering if I would see a big difference with the G9 dual IBIS. I have been debating on what would be a good second body for some time now and the G9 looks like a great camera.

I think that would be my best birding combo!

Thanks
The G9 is a great camera both ergonomically and functionally, and its IBIS is very effective. Dual IS works well with enabled Panasonic lenses, but it is apparently not available when an Olympus lens is attached, I've tried. That said, the camera's IBIS is so effective that adding a dual capable lens does not make a huge difference.

panamike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The G9 is a good body but the focusing speed is nowhere near the OLY, i know as i am just trialing an EM1MK11 now due to the poor performance of my G9.Sensor wise the G9 may have the edge and if its mainly stationary subjects then ok.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
IBIS seems to work better with shorter focal lengths. Dual IS seems to help extend the stabilization out to longer focal lengths making it easier to frame up using a tele lens, less wobble. So you may not get extra stops of stabilization but you may get more usable stabilization at longer focal lengths with dual IS.

I find the G85 with the 100-300 dual IS a good combination.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
According to reviews, the G9 with dual IS is as good and some say better than the Olympus EM1 II which was the best IBIS on the market back in 2018. Thus, not much different. Also, it all depends on who you ask, some say the Olympus has better AF while others say the G9 has better AF. Thus, there may not be a significant difference between the 2.

For a second body the G9 would be a good option if you shoot one camera at a time. But if you use 2 bodies at the same time, it would be best to go with a similar camera for ease of use, and speedy shooting ability.

With these 2 bodies, they can be custom set up for similar operation, but the egronomics will feel different. Both have some of the best egronomics on the market. And both have the best IBIS on the market. So it would all depend on your preference.

Good luck on your decision.

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’ve been using my G9 and the 100-400 for almost 2 years.

I’ve been able to hand hold down to about 1/100s at the 400mm end which is great for shooting birds in the forest as long as they perch for a second. YMMV.

The G9 is a good body but the focusing speed is nowhere near the OLY, i know as i am just trialing an EM1MK11 now due to the poor performance of my G9.Sensor wise the G9 may have the edge and if its mainly stationary subjects then ok.
Looking forwards reading about your experience with the 2 cameras!

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
IBIS seems to work better with shorter focal lengths. Dual IS seems to help extend the stabilization out to longer focal lengths making it easier to frame up using a tele lens, less wobble. So you may not get extra stops of stabilization but you may get more usable stabilization at longer focal lengths with dual IS.

I find the G85 with the 100-300 dual IS a good combination.
I too use the 100-300 ii lens with my G9 and it works very well indeed. Right now, it has been my most used lens on that camera.
GR

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom