1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

dual flash sync cord

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mlopes, Nov 2, 2015.

1. mlopes

mlopes Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Portugal
    help again! :)

i need a dual flash ttl sync cord to work with an oly e-m5 mk2 and (probably) 2 olympus fl300r flash units.

would anyone be so kind and point me out some cable makers and models and where to buy them in europe?

thank you! ;)

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why use cable when you can fire them TTL wirelessly (using the supplied clip on flash as a commander)? Also, you can set them up on two different channels if you want & adjust each setting differently right at the camera.

3. mlopes

mlopes Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Portugal
    doesn't commander mode uses optic trigger? or am i wrong?
    if so, and if i'm photographing outdoors in bright daylight trigger problems will certainly occur.
    but i'm a newbie to m4/3 so please, can you help me here?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ross the fiddler

Yes, it is using a coded pulsed light source (from the commander flash) but there are three levels of commander brightness, LO, MID & HI (selectable in the camera). I would suggest trying it. If you can reach the flash with a cable then I'm sure the light will be effective at that distance too if selected at HI. If the remote flash units are behind objects or the subject it will generally work from reflected light indoors but may get lost outside. Again, I suggest you try it. The commander flash also has the option of adding to the flash fill or not. It just has to selected appropriately (default at OFF).

• Like Like x 1
  5. mlopes

mlopes Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Portugal
    ok, thank you very much for your imput. i will try it but i have to investigate how to work with commander mode first ;) besides the manual can you point some where else to look for? some user friendly guide?

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Here are a couple of videos on You Tube
    -
    -
    - How to use FL-600R -

I'd suggest you just start with one FL-300r or FL-600R that you can use as the off camera flash. Play around with the setup and operation inside until you understand how it works, then move outside. The Olympus RC system outside is much better than most say.

If you progress far enough that you want to add more, you may want to use the FL-300R or FL-600R on camera as the master flash, both work better outside than the little flash that came with your camera.

You can also use the Panasonic LUMIX DMW-FL360L or DMW-FL580L External Flash units if you choose to, they are compatible with Olympus.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mlopes

mlopes Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2015
    Portugal
    thank you very much! :) i'll see the videos and try to learn more about commander mode.

you mentioned fl330r, but i cant find any data about that model...

8. Ross the fiddler

I think that's a typo & would be the FL300R.

• Like Like x 1