1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DSTE or Premium Tech battery for E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by foosion, Dec 11, 2012.

1. foosion

foosion Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 29, 2012
    I'm trying to decide between these two battery and charger combinations. Based on other reports,

- both will take about the same number of shots, which is almost as many a the OEM,

- both show remaining charge in camera, with almost the same accuracy as the OEM

- both chargers will charge the OEM, although not to full charge, neither will charge in the OEM charger

- the Premium Tech charger may (or may not) be faster than the DSTE

- the chargers are about the same size and are smaller than the OEM charger

DSTE 3pcs 1450mAh BLN 1 BLN1 Battery DC133 Charger for Olympus OM D E M5 EM5 | eBay

Amazon.com: 2 Pack Battery And Charger Kit For Olympus OM-D E-M5 Digital Camera Includes 2 Extended Replacement (1500Mah) BLN-1 Batteries + Ac/Dc Rapid Travel Charger + LCD Screen Protectors + MicroFiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo

Anyone have another view on these or any strong feelings on which is better or strongly recommend another cheap battery?

2. pisonic

pisonic New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    I am using dste and so far so good...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Go with this one if what it claim is true:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/third-party-battery-one-shows-battery-level-37662/

ps: you want to use the original charger, so you don't need to bring two chargers if you want to use original battery (The one that comes with the omd or if you've purchased any extras). Also, those third party chargers can charge original Olympus battery, but it's reported that you won't get 100% charge by doing that.

4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I've enjoyed DSTE since July without any problems. If anything there's more value in having three spares than just two spares for roughly the same price--the amazon price does not include shipping.

5. foosion

foosion Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 29, 2012
    I've been leaning towards the DSTE and Premium Tech because their chargers are smaller than the OEM (I've replaced the OEM cord with a small plug, which helps) and they also seem to show battery level.

6. foosion

foosion Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 29, 2012
    pisonic and Mike, are my impressions of the DSTE in the OP accurate - similar number of shots as OEM, reasonable charge time, etc.?

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Yeah, the DSTE batteries get close to the OEM one in terms of shots. As for charging times, I honestly don't know. There's always three other batteries already charged whenever I put an empty one in the charger. I've never had a need to check how long it takes. It definitely charges faster than the next battery takes to drain, that's for sure!

8. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    DSTE, I forgot to use the original battery after using the DSTE batteries. :)

9. pisonic

pisonic New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    Yes it is quite near....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I got two DSTE batteries, and they work fine if used soon after charging. If they sit, they're dead when I go to use them. Haven't tested how long they take to drain yet, though I found them dead a week after charging. The Olympus battery holds a charge for weeks even if it sits unused. Never had this problem with BLS1 clones

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!