1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DSLR versus mirrorless market share

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by YouDidntDidYou, Nov 7, 2012.

1. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    DSLR losing market share versus mirrorless in Japan, more pronounced in key buying periods eg xmas and just before summer holidays....
    [​IMG]

2. DonParrot

DonParrot Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2011
    Interesting graph. Thanks for sharing.

3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Mirrorless has gravity on its side.

• Like Like x 1
  4. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    is the key word here that is absent from the thread's name for some reason. For the rest of the world the market share is very different.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually.. the world market shows similar trends as with Japan. Its the US market that is vastly different.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
  7. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    The comment was regarding the thread name which is about the market share, not the trends. And the market share is very different in the rest of the world where DSLRs still sell in much larger quantities than mirrorless.

8. usayit

I wasn't speaking towards trends as in market trends.... but the trend of the marketshare graph posted.

Do a little research... before responding. The graph above looks mighty similar to other markets... except the US.

olympus_omd_presentation_1_to_YouDidntDidYou.jpg

Notice all those colorful lines that represent other markets around the world. Now look at that blue relatively flat line at the bottom that represents the US.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sadly, there is almost zero marketing in the U.S. I suspect that a good marketing campaign would boost awareness and sales. Unfortunately, the sheer size of the U.S makes marketing very expensive. It will take a very, very long time before word-of-mouth overcomes the Canikon bias.

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    It's the same everywhere Bob. But I have to point out another parameter.

The other day, during a shooting break, I was talking to the model. Her sister wanted to buy a "good camera" for travel and general photography and she was convinced she needed "a DSLR, like yours" [and she pointed to my OM-D with attached grip seating on the table]. :biggrin:

I calmly explained this is not a DSLR and (in simple words) gave some pointers on what a DSLR really is, and how cameras have advanced in todays market. She is a bright kid and probably understood the basics, BUT in the same conversation, I admitted that some entry level DSLRs are good deals today. I would personally not buy one, but, to be fair, it's hard to resist the option of having a D3200 for less than 550 euro (with kit lens). In Europe, that's about 200 euro less than a G5 kit (which is the closest equivalent in :43: in price).

This is another consideration; I'm wondering how many D3200s and Rebels are sold to people like my model's sister, the kit lens never leaving the body.

11. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    The graph provided by Olympus? :laugh1: No, thanks. This one's a bit less biased:
    cipa2012numbers_med.jpe

It's not just USA, in most parts of the world the majority of consumers don't even know yet what mirrorless cameras are about and simply buy entry- to mid-level DSLRs.

12. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    Curiois how OMD, new PENs, Panny G5 and GH3 will impact this xmass sells results ;)

13. TDP

TDP Guest

In Asia mirrorless is extremely popular. Small and efficient and stylish is what it is all about. In the US bigger is better. DSLRs are bigger. Companies are pushing product supplies and advertising where they expect the biggest returns.

14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
  15. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Here is the CIPA report for September:

http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/pdf/d-201209_e.pdf

None of the data in that report comes anywhere close to matching with that chart.

Not saying the guy is wrong in general though. mirrorless shipments were at 12% of total interchangeable lens camera sales according to the CIPA report for September, which is not that great. Just saying that chart is definitely not right.

16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    12% means the chart isquite right, actually.

Please notice that the blue line is compact cameras. The orange one is DSLRs and the green one is mirrorless. Just by eyeballing the chart, the green line seems to lie somewhere between 10 and 15% of the sum of "orange"+"green".

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    So what's the point in adding compacts to that graph, so that it minimizes both system cameras to the point where you can barely see any changes? Then use big thick lines just in case anybody was able to pick out the changes. Looks like he's just trying to make a point and the only purpose of the graph is to illustrate his point and not to show any data whatsoever.

18. usayit

Just to be clear... The graph is for all mirrorless not just olympus. I wouldnt dismiss it so quickly. If you google other resources you will see other reports of climbing shares for mirrorless in general.

The US market is different in part due to cultural differences. We as consumers measure value and quality against a different set of variables. This is true not just for cameras but other consumer products

19. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    What does that have to do with the chart being accurate?

The chart is based on volume, but the volume scale is off by an order of magnitude.... Inaccurate chart.

SLR shipments in September were about 97% of Built In Lens shipments, meaning the yellow and blue lines should almost be touching in September... Inaccurate chart.

I could go on and on....

Maybe this guy has access to some other report? A more detailed one that he cherry picked data from? I don't know, but I do know that it does not jive at all with the public report.

20. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I think market shares may have some importance if you are merchant trying to sell cameras and you want to stock the right amount of inventory. On the other hand I think the consumer should base their decision on that of their needs. Unfortunately I suspect many select their camera gear based on company reputations, advertising, and suggestions by camera reviewers, salesmen and word of mouth.