DSLR to Micro 4/3: Ever look back?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ccrider, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ccrider

ccrider Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2014
    Hey all,
    So I'm pretty happy with the Oly E-M1 I picked up here recently. The size and weight are great. Picture quality is good. All the same reasons we're here.
    My Canon 7D is not getting the use it once did, so I'm thinking of making a big change and selling it to make more room for 4/3 gear. The EM1 just gets out more because of ease of use/size.

I'm wondering how many people have made the switch from DSLR to Micro 4/3 and wished they had kept all their big stuff OR did you make the change and never look back...

curious minds want to know...

2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I kept my Canon for over a year after buying my M43 camera. I then realized that I had hardly used it at all. So, I sold everything I had and made the full commitment to M43. I have thought about buying a dslr again a few times, but haven't. I really like the size of my M43 gear compared to my old dslr gear. And I am mostly happy with my results. Occasionally I think my old gear did something better, like tracking a fast moving object at a sporting event, but most of the time I am very happy. I go back and look at old pictures I took with my Canon gear and I do like them as well. I think both systems are perfectly capable. Really, it has been the PL25 that has kept me with M43. I love that lens more than any lens I had on my Canon.
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I look back every so often, but then I pinch myself to wake up from that nightmare :).
    I'm pretty happy. I may add one of the A7 cameras, but not until I stumble upon a pot of gold,
  4. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I use a D700 professionally and I can tell you, after four hours of lifting that beast up to my eye, I'm very glad to have my EM-1. There are limitations with m43, but the benefits outweigh DSLR autofocus any day!
  5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Depends on your uses and needs... I'm two years into being a m4/3 convert from 35 mm FF Canon and I have no interest at all in a dSLR system. I'm very invested with several lenses, fast, slow, zoom, prime, manual and autofocus, with several GX1 bodies. VERY happy I made the switch.

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
    No, I have a Sony for sale. Anyone interested? :smile:
  7. ccrider

ccrider Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2014
    Not sure, but I might be seeing a trend here... :smile:
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I kept my Canon 5DII and a selection of L glass for about a year and a half, slowly selling off glass. I kept the DSLR for the 35L, 135L and sigma 50/1.4 because it simply could do things the E-M1/5 couldn't quite do for me. The A7r was the nail it's coffin and I sold as soon as it was announced. The 16-35, 35/1.4 and maybe a fast 135 in the future and I'll have the complementary pair down pat. I like the FF sensor option for some types of photos but not enough to sacrifice portability.
  9. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    I switched 2 years ago (there's a blog detailing it on my site somewhere) and have never looked back since. Had a 5D and 7D.
  10. kimo

kimo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    I sold six Nikon DX lenses and my D7000 after I picked up my E-M1 about this time last year. No regrets here. I think the E-M1 is a better camera and I really enjoyed my summer with it.

But the thing I can't get rid of is my full-frame Nikon rig. Recently I had a choice between the Oly 40-150 f2.8 Pro or the Nikon 70-200 f4 G and I went with the Nikkor. It's a sweet razor sharp lens with unbelievable VR. But I still want the fast Oly tele. So I'm saving now. I've found there is room for two systems in my life since they serve distinct purposes for me.
  11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    I shoot full frame for work and own a variety of modern Nikon bodies. However 4 years ago, I decided to try out m43 for my personal travel camera kit cause I heard great things about it. I bought a E-PL1 kit set and afterwards loved it to death until I sold it recently with the kit lenses. I own an Olympus E-1 DSLR and mainly used it to be nostalgic with Kodachrome and Ektachrome look and feel, but mainly am shooting with my E-P5. I haven't found anything that I can't do with the E-P5 that I can with full frame unless I need some specific look and applications which is where my Mitakon focal reducer and full frame lenses come in. I occasionally lust over the Sony A7, but am going to play a wait and see with the new E-M5 Mark 2. Your E-M1 is a very capable camera and easily beat DSLRs a few generations back.
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    If you want to see what I have, look in the signature below.
    I will never get rid of my Nikon Df. It is hands down my most favorite camera that I own. It is fun, produces gorgeous files.

With that, I have not fully committed to one system over the other. I use them in parallel. I need to see just how good the C-AF on the EM1 is before getting rid of any of my Nikon FX gear. It really comes down to my shooting style and I have to be 200% sure that the m43 gear will give me the performance that I require. I still have some scenarios to go through before I am there.

I can say, though that 90% of what I need to do can be accomplished with the m43 gear I have. There are also some things that the m43 gear can do that I could never afford to get into with my Nikon kit. Right now, I can get an equivalent 1200mm field of view from the EM5 + Oly 75-300/4.8-6.7 kit for under $1000. Crunch the numbers on what that would cost you on a Nikon FX kit and you'll see what I mean.

I could let my Nikon D300 go, as I can get the same speed performance out of the D700. Where the D300 really shows its age is at ISO above 1600. I get cleaner results from the m43 sensors, IMHO. I don't ever see me fully leaving my Nikon kit, but I see the roles slowly reversing themselves as time passes. It used to be that Nikon kit would be the main and the m43 would be the personal/supplement kit. Now, that reversing and the Nikon kit comes out for special occasion and the m43 gets more shot time.
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I still need better AF than what the m4/3 bodies can provide, unfortunately. To be honest I don't love the sensor size either. Both of these things have led me to keep a Sony SLT around.
  14. ccrider

ccrider Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2014
    Interesting to see how people are using their cameras and their different needs. It seems with the advances in technology the last few years, some of advantages of a DSLR are not as great as they used to be. Better sensors, glass seems to be narrowing the margin a bit.

Keep in mind I’m not making a living shooting images. I do like the right tools for the job but my livelihood doesn’t rely on photography. I understand we have choices and people are going to choose what works for them.

For me the smaller bag of stuff to haul around is a big bonus as the camera is now going more places. Who knows, you may see some more Canon gear in the for sale section soon.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Bought an em5 for a light carry around camera. Purchased the 45 f1.8 to go with it. That was the nail in the coffin for my 60d and 7d and all my canon gear. Best images ever out of that combo that I could not match with my Canon gear. Love m43 ... no regrets.
  16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

I regularly look back at my change from 4x5 to 35mm and then also my change from 35mm to DSLR but as DSLR was in so many ways giving me less quality for more money than 4x5 was (with almost as much weight) I don't actually look back on that with all that much fondness. My OM1 gave me images that my DSLR could barely match.

What I get from my 4/3 system is much closer in quality than was the jump from 4x5. I still use the 4x5 and know what I'm getting myself into when I lug it around.

Looking back on what did well for us is part of the process. Its deciding why you are where you are that matters.

"We all started out as something different"

enjoy it
  17. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switched from a Nikon full frame system in oct/nov this year. Off course there is tradeoffs and i know what i miss about the Nikon stuff... but those things aren't worth anything to me if I'm not happy and comfortable taking pictures. I'm more happy now because of all the reasons why i switched to m4/3.

After all these years i've spent on switching and changing gear the biggest lesson i learned along the way, is that one should enjoy photography and have fun taking pictures. If not... the gear is useless no matter what it is.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been swaying to and from DSLRs even before Micro 4/3rds.

Nah.. I don't look back. Never did like size and weight..... unless it translated to a paycheck.

What keeps me with micro 4/3rds is that its the only system that is actually smaller and lighter than my Leica system. Nothing to do with being mirror-less... its the small and excellent lenses balanced with an excellent choice in format/sensor.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Yes, I look back at my 5D3 sat on the shelf and think "I must put that up for sale" ;)

Currently shooting with GH4, EM1 and variety of M43 glass. I really don't miss carrying those large Canon lenses around and TBH, none of my clients have questioned the quality from the M43 system.
  20. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    If I was still shooting full-time, I would still be shooting FF, but I no longer shoot for a living - just a freelance job every now and then. m43 is right for me and many others, but it's something that may take a person years to figure out. If I'm happy making pictures with my kit, then that's all that really matters to me.
    • Like Like x 1