DSLR to M43 - your thoughts

Vulpix

Mu-43 Regular
I´m also looking at the GX1 with the Summilux 25/1.4, but the Pen´s IS is also tempting... I have a very hard time to decide. The extra stop with GX1 new sensor or extra stop with built in image stabilization on the Pen.
I´m leaving my D7000 w 18-105, 60mm Macro & 35mm. I´m going to put the money from selling my Nikon equipment to a M4/3 system. Any advice for my new setup (using the Nikon money) is appreciated...

Well, personally I'm not too concerned about the in-body IS thing. It's nice to have, but since majority of my lenses are pretty bright or already have built in Power OIS, it's really a non-issue for me. The 14-42X and 45-175X both have built in IS, and my 45mm 1.7 is a very bright lens. I can't advice you on Olympus since I hate the look of the bodies, and I refuse to touch their aged sensor.

Most of the advice here are already quite spot on, so I'll just give my thoughts:

1. Panasonic GX1
  2. Panasonic DMC-LVF2
  3. 14-42X PZ lens
  4. Olympus 45mm lens
  5. Panasonic 20mm or Panny-Leica 25mm

I think this pretty much should fit your needs. :redface:

Rudi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Still a lot of noob photographers in my country think that m43 system is an advanced compact system camera like the Canon S95 which somehow pisses me off since m43 has got interchangeable lenses, and lot more add-ons and features. And they totally underestimate the power of the m43. Which is pretty saddening.

I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about my gear, whether they're a photographer or not. :smile:

bridgemix

Mu-43 Rookie
Most of the advice here are already quite spot on, so I'll just give my thoughts:

1. Panasonic GX1
  2. Panasonic DMC-LVF2
  3. 14-42X PZ lens
  4. Olympus 45mm lens
  5. Panasonic 20mm or Panny-Leica 25mm

I think this pretty much should fit your needs. :redface:

You are spot on!
Thanks for the advice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yohan

Mu-43 Rookie
I once went from Nikon D80 to GF1, and most recently Pentax K-5 to E-P3. K-5's high iso performance was brilliant. This generation of APS-C DSLR's, especially the K-5 and D7000, felt like game-changers. K-5 felt formidable when you hold it. The build quality is top notch and weather sealing offers peace of mind. IQ is also excellent. I do miss my K-5 and Pentax primes.

It was a financial necessity for me to get rid of my gear and downsize. I bought the E-P3 with the RII kit zoom to replace my DSLR gear. Since then, I added the PL25 which means the kit zoom went on craigslist in light speed.

Here are some things I miss most of all:
- IQ
- High ISO performance
- Build/grip/weathersealing
- FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
- Quiet shutter
- More external controls = faster access to functions

I like the E-P3 for:
- Portability & Light weight
- AF speed in good lighting
- PL 25 f1.4
- Styling

I remember taking my GF1 to Panama. GF1 + 20 pancake made traveling enjoyable. When I went to Europe with the D80, which is not a particularly big DSLR, it felt too heavy at times.

juju

Mu-43 Rookie
i only bring out the DSLR for fast tele work, mostly sports and events, for everything else there's m4/3 :)

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
When I got a m43 I used it almost exclusively for the first 6 months. Then I slowly drifted back to the dSLR. I still love and use my µ43 and there are times I rely on it but it has become my second camera.

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
A little over a month later and now I've committed fully to m43. The last of my d-slr kit shipped today. I feel like the process is much simpler now for me and I really like it.

I ended up with an E-PM1, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm, and a healthy bag of m43 dollars to spend. :biggrin:

dino8031

Mu-43 Regular
Lots of great information here.
I too am thinking of swapping my 50D and satchel of big lenses for something less overwhelming.
I got so tired of lugging gear around I pretty much quit taking it anywhere!

The NEX-7 looks pretty interesting, but I'm not hearing a lot of good things about
Sony lenses, and to me image quality is my biggest priority, along with speed, low light performance and a really great EVF.

I can tell I have a lot to read up on before I make the plunge. I will miss my Sigma 50, 135, and the 85L, not to mention the f/4 L zooms. Sigh....

Latest threads

Top Bottom