DSLR Magazine Publishes Full Review of Panasonic Lumix Vario GX 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH!

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
DSLRMagazine.com has published a full review of the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 lens, a zoom lens which we knew was in development but hadn't even been formally announced yet!

7237304238_601741fb11_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tamron 24-70/2.8 side by side with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8.

Some of the information from the review:
  • The lens is weather sealed
  • Constant f/2.8
  • Outstanding performance
  • 25cm minimum focusing distance
  • Metal body
  • Weight: 305g
  • Approximate price: 1,100 EUR

It's not at all surprising that the Panasonic lens is far smaller and lighter than a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens designed for 135 format. What may surprise some people is that the new Panasonic is less than half the weight of Canon's plastic 17-55/2.8 for APS-C.

There's much more to the review including detailed performance tests and sample images so be sure to check it out:
Spanish: http://www.dslrmagazine.com/pruebas...mix-gx-vario-12-35-mm-f-2-8-asph-a-fondo.html
English via Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/transla...mix-gx-vario-12-35-mm-f-2-8-asph-a-fondo.html

[via 1001 Noisy Cameras]

Also see: https://www.mu-43.com/f38/boom-panasonic-12-35mm-f-2-8-reviewed-26448/

[Thanks Kal]

Mu-43 Legend
Awesome, but how can you have a weather sealed zoom that does not focus internally?

Mu-43 Legend
Article might be indicating (towards the end) that it's par focal.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
This looks delish!

pan_12_35_om_d-600.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mu-43 Legend
Ok. I know the 70-200s better. So I wasn't sure.

Doesnt the collapse mechanism create a dust pump?

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
Wow !!!!

Looks damn sexy.

It looks as though Panasonic has cracked the high optical quality fast zoom Achilles heel...and weather sealed to boot.

I'm pretty well covered in this range with primes so I'm perhaps more interested in the 35-100.....but this looks like the ultimate travel zoom.

I read an article recently where a Japanese Panasonic official was quoted as claiming the 2 new zooms would be of exceptional quality and even went as far as to say they would be 'Leica class'.....optimistic perhaps, but that quote and this first review indicate a Genuine attempt by Panasonic to deliver superb quality solution in an area that mu43 lacked. On the back of the EM5....our system is now looking stronger each day.

Bring on the 35-100 and GH3 :)

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Wow !!!! I'm pretty well covered in this range with primes so I'm perhaps more interested in the 35-100.....but this looks like the ultimate travel zoom.

Agreed, since I'm getting the 12-50mm kit with the E-m5 I'm not too interested in this lens in particular (I've never really seen the point of a fast wide zoom when you can shoot with relatively slow shutter speeds, though I suppose that is related to shooting non-moving subjects generally!). If the 35-100mm comes out for around this price (assuming somewhere under $1,500 USD) and it is anywhere close to this size (which looks positively tiny for a fast zoom), I fear my Pentax gear is slowly dwindling down to the point where I simply won't have enough lenses to keep it running!

zpierce

Super Moderator
Real Name
Zach
I'm definitely more interested in the 35-100. I'm pretty happy with primes in this range. Need something with some reach and speed!

Hopefully they won't announce the GH3 and 35-100 at the same time or I'll have to sell one of my children :)

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I want it. I've always had a strong preference for the Olympus bodies -- not the sensors, necessarily, but the bodies themselves, the feel and ergonomics of them. But Panasonic has again and again come out with some stunning lenses. It had the 20 and sold it to buy the 25 -- but really want and will eventually have both.

I just have to decide whether to cover the wide end with primes or go with this. I'll await further reviews. Definitely interested.

Latest threads

Top Bottom