1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Drymarchon melanurus erebennus

Discussion in 'Nature' started by nueces snapper, Jul 17, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

The colubrid known as the Texas Indigo Snake:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I was a little bit mean to him. He was on a lawn (that's in the middle of a wilderness) and my camera was a couple hundred yards away at my house so I put him in the ice chest for a few minutes while I got my camera. These are shot with the 12mm.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I turned him out on the lawn and we started to dance. He made 20 or so fast breaks for the wilds but I would skip along between him and escape ( which was also on the bad light side ). Both of us got out of breath. When he would stop for a few secs I'd get a pic. After about five minutes I picked him up and carried him to the shade and the edge of the wood he wanted to get back to and he slithered off.

He was a very nice snake. He never tried to bite even though I was horrible to him. He just wanted to go home. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
  2. nueces snapper

He was about half grown. 5 feet. I've seen one from a distance with binoculars from about 30 yards that was a good 8 ft. And one at least that large from 20 ft but both times they escaped into the water.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    Yikes! I didn't expect to come face to face with a snake here. Now I'll probably end up having nightmares. I'm suffer from severe ophidiophobia. Ackkkk!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. nueces snapper

Awwww ...they're sweethearts. They say you can tame them to pet-like behavior quite easily. :tongue:

2193954184_937462baf9.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    That's funny. It looks like a snake to me.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Are these the snakes that kill rattlesnakes? If so, they make good neighbors!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Wow! The one with the officer is one big snake!

8. nueces snapper

uhh huh

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

iPhone photo

• Like Like x 1
  9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Nice shots nueces, he's a very handsome creature. There was a time when I was terrified of snakes. Working some years in a veterinary hospital that specialized in exotic animals cured that. My first day on the job, a 10 foot anaconda latched on to the vet's hand and wrapped around the owner's neck. It took all my strength and the help of another technician to pry it loose. That was a nasty, nasty animal, but most snakes are not like that. This one was obviously a very patient creature, I'm glad you found him some shade and let him go. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Freakin' beautiful snake. I love snakes, but live in the wrong part of the country to see many of them. My high school bio teacher had an extensive vivarium, and we got to handle a lot of snakes during high school. Thanks for sharing some great images.

• Like Like x 1
  11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Awesome shots!

Cool to learn a bit about this snake. I kind of want one now!

• Like Like x 1
  12. nueces snapper

Funny, I used to live 4 counties East and we didn't have them but I knew about them. I always wanted one too. Now I live where we have lots of them and I get to see them so often that it's kinda like having one. But better. :smile:

13. JimmyK

JimmyK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    James Knodell
    Not my idea of a sweetheart!!! If I ever encountered a snake that big…I'd soil my drawers, for sure!!:eek:

14. nueces snapper

Not a lot of snakes in Boston, ey? Too bad more kids don't have a similar experience to yours. Snakes are wonderful members of the biosphere. I look for them wherever I go cause I just love to see them and see what they do. This species is probably my fave though because of their nature. And their size. :thumbup:

15. nueces snapper

This shot had a little more light on his head

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

16. nueces snapper

You know, knowledge is power they say. I can get the willies just like you from a snake. The key is knowing which ones can hurt you and which ones cannot. If not sure with a given species than just consider it dangerous.

I also know that there are only a very few poisonous snakes in Texas and what those species main habitat is so I know where and when to be careful.

A lot of people have snake phobia. Phobia being an enhanced fear not necessarily rational. Come on down here and we'll get you over that. Once you've touched and handled a non dangerous animal you'll be much relieved of your jumpiness. Might help you to enjoy the outdoors more. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Neat photo from Texas. However, in South Louisiana they would add a snake recipe to the photo caption. No?

• Like Like x 1
  18. nueces snapper

lol