Dropped my lens - what should I check?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rasmus, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Hi all,

yesterday I accidentally dropped my 60mm macro onto the floor. It was standing on the kitchen table and my camera strap accidentally caught it, causing it to fall onto the wooden floor below. The plastic bit with the olympus logo on detached from the lans cap, but apart from that, the lens looked OK. No cracks, no rattling from loose bits inside. I tried taking a few pictures and they were more or less as sharp as usual. I haven't tried to see if corner sharpness is uneven, but overall the lens seems OK.

Is there anything more I should check to make sure the lens still works 100 %? I glued the logo bit of the lens cap back on but won't use the cap just yet, just in case the curing glue would produce any nasty fumes that could somehow damage the lens.

2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Apart from an X-Ray, I think not. Give it a week or two and it will be a distant memory (nightmare!).
    If it works ok, and from what you've said it does, then I'd try and put it behind you as a 'near miss'.

3. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    That is funny... I dropped my Oly 45m about a month ago and the only consequence was that the olympus logo on the lens cap flew off. Other than that, I have not noticed any issues at all (so I guess we shouldn't complain about the crappy build quality of the lens cap). I actually forgot about it until I saw your post, so it will definitely be a distant memory soon enough... shoot on.

P.S. - I decided to just order a new lens cap for $6, so there are no reminders

4. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Drop damage tends to be rather clear; there is nothing subtle about a loose lens element or broken connector. Sounds like you got away with it.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Your pants?:biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    You should check to determine WHY you placed it so close to the edge of the table. Then, make a concerted effort to refrain from doing so again!:tongue: