Dropped my GH1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by johnny9fingers, May 21, 2011.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

:eek: I dropped my GH1 on a concrete driveway this afternoon :eek:

I've never dropped a camera before, NEVER!!! And expected the worst. The rubberized covering got scuffed, but it seems to be ok. I took some pictures, changed settings, and played back some video and everything seems to work ok. It actually bounced when it hit, probably because of the rubber skin. I'm hoping the combination of the coating and the cameras light weight kept it from suffering any real damage.
    Has anyone else dropped their GH1, or any G series camera??
  2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Not yet :)tongue:)

I dropped my old D50 on concrete and it bounced as well. Got a few scuffs and the battery lid snapped off (had to use a rubberband for a week) but I bought a replacement lid from ebay for a few bucks and nothing seemed to be permanently damaged.
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Oh oh. You may be looking at a screen name change here... keep the fingers, maybe add butter in there someplace? :smile:

Glad it didn't die on impact, I'm a big big believer in using the neck strap as soon as I pick up a camera... every single time..

Cheers, Alan "neckstrap" Roseman

4. johnny9fingers

Well, then my other nickname would be "Wriststrap Jack" :biggrin:
    I was just puting the camera in the truck when I dropped it. Otherwise when walking around and shooting it's always on a wriststrap. Of course that will change as it will be secured any and everytime I pick it up.....
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi John,

I like the ring of "Johnny Wrist Strap" sounds like an old west gunfighter..

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I always use a wrist strap, but you do have to transfer it somewhere else occasionally. My Pen rides in the windshield bag of my motorcycle and that's a very "fumbly" place to go in and out of on a regular basis. OTOH, the whole reason for the :43: was so I'd take it with me when I go.
  7. johnny9fingers

As a rule, with wriststrap or not, I usually keep a good grip on a camera. This time I probably wasn't holding it as securely, and I bumped my elbow on the trucks door and down it went. I am happy to say it seems to be working ok and hopefully problems don't arise in the future.
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't own any Panasonics, so no. However, I drop my Olympus E-3 on a regular basis... probably drop it from around waist-high about every other week or so, with at least a $700-$1700 lens attached.

My Olympus PEN I am a lot more careful with... it's pretty rugged, but certainly not as durable as my E-3. However, I still managed to crack one LCD on the E-P1, but not from dropping it. I'm extra careful with that part of my E-PL2 now, and even pack a piece of foam in the back of my camera bag (my E-P1 LCD got busted in the bag).
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I dropped an Oly once from 40' up on a manlift onto a concrete floor ... the floor won. Dropped a Nikon out a Huey at 500' ... never found it. Dropped a 5D, camera's battery grip battery door is now reinforced with duct tape ...