1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dropped my E-PL3 today...UGHH...:(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Minniesmum, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    With Oly 45mm f1.8 lens attached onto a supermarket tiled floor from a height....
    No obvious physical damage but the camera makes a strange buzzing noise when I switch it on. Also the IS light top right hand corner of the LCD screen is constantly flashing. I've not had a chance to try the camera's performance out yet in daylight. The lens seems ok as switched it to my E-PL1 and works fine on that. My heart sank believe me.... any ideas what the buzzing or flashing IS light could be ( I'm thinking that the IS system has been damaged ? ).
    Not a great day....
    If it isn't working , I may upgrade to an E-PL5 body rather than replace the 3....

Cath

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I suppose you could try the Reset function in the Menu to see if it fixes things. But, of course, this wouldn't fix a hardware problem.

3. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I did exactly this straight away thanks but hasn't made any difference :( I'll try the camera out tomorrow in daylight and see whether it's still functioning properly. Another option is to contact Olympus UK to see if they repair/refurbish....

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Not good - hope it works when you test it . . .

5. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thanks. If it had been my E-PL1 I could have replaced the body quite cheaply ... fingers crossed it still works ok..

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I wonder if the sensor cleaner or ibis got damaged.

7. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    yes I suspect the ibis. If that is the case I guess the camera will still be usable ? ....

8. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Well you can switch IBIS off.

Don't forget as per the other thread, the GX1 is on sale for $199 as well.

It's a good time to be waiting for the new models though. E-P5. E-PL6 (or wait till the price drops on the E-PL5).

9. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I'll stick with Olympus for sure as I also have the VF-2. Yes you are correct and I've switched off the IBIS. The next test is to see whether it still performs in low light ok. I'm thinking atm to wait as you suggest, til the E-PL5 price drops and get the body only as I certainly don't want or need more kit lenses...

10. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Bad luck. I dropped my OM-D EM-5 just before Christmas and the EVF went funny. Olympus turned it round in less than a week and it came back like new, with all the scratched and damaged bits replaced, for £165

11. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I was thinking of contacting Olympus UK to see whether it's worth sending to them for repair. I bought it from a dealer on eBay- wasn't new so so warranty.

12. gooder77

gooder77 New to Mu-43

Apr 18, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Well...at least now you may have a legitimate reason to upgrade.

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm pretty sure the warranty status doesn't really matter in this case. Truly sorry to hear about your mishap. My guess is that the value of the E-PL3 is such that the cost of repair is probably prohibitive, but I'd go ahead and reach out to Olympus just in case. Worst case, you'll be out postage to send it in, best case their repair estimate might be a pleasant surprise.

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Red flashing IS whether on or off means IS subsystem has failed.

Could be simple as something is jammed and can be coaxed out or could be worse.

15. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    thanks. Yes it's flashing red whether on or off....think I'll contact Olympus and see whether they think it's worth having a look at.

16. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    I certainly do :)

17. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Aside from possibly getting the E-PL3 fixed- btw can still use it for manual focusing and my legacy glass- I think.... now dithering regards an E-P3 ( been offered a mint body for a sensible price ) vs an E-PL5 body at £100. more.....
    Decisions.... I really fancy the E-P3. And at some point in the future would likely get an E-PL5 body once the prices drop even more. Dither dither.Lol.

Cath

18. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Update...

Think I've also wrecked my Oly 45 mm f1.8 lens. Since dropping the camera with it attached, not been able to get a sharp image with the lens- even on the E-PL1 which is working fine. Well that restricts my choices even more ( regards cash )as I'll need to replace the lens too. :(

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Do check with Olympus on the lens. Not sure, but it *might* be less expensive to have it repaired than to replace it. So sorry this happened!!!!

20. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    thanks. I've not had any reply back from Olympus UK yet about possibly repairing the camera body ........
    Meanwhile I'm trying to ascertain to extent of the damage to the lens if any or whether I'm just imagining that it's not as sharp as it was. Been trying it on my E-PL1 and on the E-PL3 with the shutter speed jacked up to minimise camera shake but inconclusive/inconsistent results. I've also been looking at all of the options regards body replacement ( camera not mine :p ). Top of the table is still the E-P3 followed by E-PL5 or E-PM2 ( but no mode dial on that one :( ).
    Everyone has been advising me to forget the E-P3 and stump up the extra cash ( about £100. ) for the E-PL5, but I really like the form factor of the E-P3. In some ways I'd prefer to wait to see what the E-P5 is like for a future up-grade. The fact that the E-P3 is considered " old " technology dosn't bother me- I was happy with the image quality from the E-PL3 but not so keen on the slippy body and tiny buttons.

I'm staying with Olympus as I do need the IS. Without it, at least 50% of my images are blurred.

Not a happy camper....