1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dropped lens, probably a dumb question.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sammykhalifa, Dec 19, 2012.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I picked up a camera/lens at the Goodwill today. It seems pretty nice, other than it looks like at some point it had been dropped and the metal rim where the filter thread is got a little dinged. Is there a safe way to repair this, or should I just leave it go? I'm no expert, but otherwise it seems to be in great shape.

I realize that that is not optimal for buying a serious lens. But this should still be a fun learning experience for me and the price was right. It's not like I'm looking to boost the resale value, or that I've blown a giant purchase or anything like that (it set me back $5.99). I was just thinking it might be nice to get a filter/hood for it at some point.

8288853011_d0ca7fbdcb_c.

8288855151_b22cfae9f0_c.

8288857665_3703655727_c.

(Just for fun, here's one of the first shots I took using it):
    8288860609_36b3692d51_c.

(I realize there's a "show your new lens" thread and other similar things . . . sorry if I should have posted this in one of those)

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I straightened out an OM 50mm f1.8 lens like that (thankfully a good one came with it too), but the aperture blades were sticky & not really usable except perhaps for reversed lens use where slow adjustment of the aperture wasn't so important. I think I used a piece of shaped wood to assist in the straightening process at the time.

3. fspeur

fspeur Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Frans
  4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If you got that lens for $6, that is an amazing buy. What kind of tools do you have? How confident are you at disassembling older lenses? Easiest way would be to remove the front lens element, slip it over a pipe, and tap at it from the other side with a lightweight hammer (preferrably rubber, rawhide, or wood). If all you have is metal, slip a piece of rubber matting over the face to remove dings. I have done metalworking in the past (albeit on thicker pieces), and corrected another issue like this in another lens. Remember, light taps are better, and you want to work around the issue, not on it (by striking to the side, you are squashing that, raising the affected area).

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Having a cut section of a block wood to match the radius of the lens section to be reformed to support the lens would be a good idea as well. That way there is a better chance of not distorting the lens in the (gentle) 'panel beating' exercise.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've used this method myself. Cut a wood block to match the radius, set the lens in the "U"shaped groove with the bent area down, take a piece of hardwood dowel and place against the bent area, tap with a hammer. It worked surprisingly well. :cool:

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That is what I would recommend as well - they even did that at the local camera shop when I was buying a used lens from them awhile back!

8. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil

Great advice, everyone. Thanks. I'm not necessarily mechanically-inclined, but my brother has a woodworking shop so I might have to give it a try.

In the meantime, I think you're right. I think I got a pretty good lens here. It's a bit larger on the camera than I expected, but that's okay. Now what to do with all of these camera bodies I seem to be collecting . . .

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Don't you know they work great as rear lens caps? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    :rolleyes: :biggrin:

11. TDP

TDP Guest

I would just leave it as it and shoot away.