1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dropped E-P3... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kbr, Dec 16, 2011.

1. kbr

kbr New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2011
    So I dropped my E-P3 from a height of about 4 feet. Now the screen does not turn on at all and gets very hot on the right hand edge of the screen.

The camera still seems like it functions normally (except for the screen) and the VF works fine.

Any suggestions about how to fix the screen before I send it off to Olympus for repair?

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It sounds like you sheared off a surface mount component on one of the flex circuits. It's time to send it off for repair before you do damage to the inverter that drives the screen.

3. kbr

kbr New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2011
    Do you think there would be additional damage if I used olny the VF for a couple weeks? I'd hate to be without a digital camera during the holidays.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The hot spot is a concern.

If it keeps working for you, and you get the shots you want, then wait.

At worst there'll be additional repair charges, but the damage has probably already been done.

If you smell smoke...

5. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    I think this might serve as a good excuse to get a "backup" body, if you can swing it right now... Then you can get your camera fixed without ever loosing a shot.

6. rramesh

rramesh Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2011
    Suggest you take it in for repairs quickly before he have more problems due to short-circuits.