1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dropped 45mm 1.8 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Sector, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sector

Sector New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I bought 45mm 1.8 lens and unfortunately happen to drop it from about 3ft above the floor. There is no physical damage seen on outside of the lens.

How can I check if insides are still properly aligned? What should I check for?

The autofocus seems to function as fast as before, but at times I think images are softer than I expected from this lens.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    You could try using some of these test charts and seeing if anything looks wrong: Lens testing

3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    It is most likely just fine....

However... I think it is always a good idea to test a lens with some type of controlled test on a lens chart of some type (make your own) at least once to verify the lens is OK.

Lens quality variations are apparently common and there are some lemons out there. If you test your lenses when you get them, you can uncover problems and possibly exchange the lens while you can.

In this case, a quick test will hopefully show that the lens is OK and then you can continue shooting without a nagging question of some lens misalignment.

4. Sector

Sector New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I dropped it on the second day after I got it. I can't compare to how it used to work, since I only took less than 10 photos with it.

I will try to do the suggested tests later this week. Will keep you posted.

5. Sector

Sector New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Portland, OR
    You are so right! the nagging question is there every time an image isn't sharp as I expected it to be. Was about to buy a new lens at one time :)

6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Did you but the lens with a credit card? Something a lot of people don't know about their credit cards is that many of them come with some sort of purchase protection that provides warranty coverage for breakage or theft for a few months after buying.

My Bank of America credit card is a really common one, and it covers things I buy for 3 months. I would actually probably avoid buying something expensive like a lens any other way, knowing that I get that extra protection.