1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dreary Country Landscape

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Anne and I headed out tonight for a drive around the countryside - - - trying to find a good location to set for the meteor showers, in case the skies clear. I found my spots - - - but it looks like the clouds are here to stay. Driving up a hill one of the back roads, I came to a grinding halt as I noticed out the side of my eye, some nicely positioned barns with intense cloud cover behind them.

I turned the van around and parked half on the road and half on the narrow gravel shoulder as cars and trucks wizzed by. I took several exposures from light to dark and them picked the best one when I got back, to apply this treatment to.

I was shooting with my E-PL3 on tripod with the long lens, and figured I was rock steady - but when I got back I noticed the movement, obviously from me pressing the shutter. Wished I had taken the time to set up the self timer and Anti Shock setting. But it looks good with this effect anyway. I'll be able to go back to the same location another day and shoot again there.

[​IMG]

Rob

• Like Like x 9
  2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Sorry, the scene has potential, but the halo just spoils it for me.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's more like a dark sort of painting than a photo, so I don't mind the halo. I like the muted colors. It's different, but I do like the treatment.

4. Robert Watcher

Thanks for your comments. Yes it was dark out and rainy and misty. The mood was just lovely and I quite like the way that I processed it more like a painting than a photograph. Nice that others see it the same way.

Rob

5. Robert Watcher

I thought that I'd show how just a few feet can make such a difference in perspective.

This shot (that ended up tack sharp with no camera movement) was taken just 10 minutes after the shot above that I posted. I was pretty well dark by this time. With the first shot, I was on the one side of the road and for the second one I just walked across to the other side of the road closest to the barns - and then maybe 15 feet or so down the road.

The shots almost looks the same - but the balance of the fence and field showing in the first image, is so much more appealing than the second shot. Mind you, if I didn't have the 2 taken from the different positions, I wouldn't know the difference and would be quite pleased with the second image I took.

And so now - being that I will revisit this loation again - it is incumbent upon me to remember the position that I was in, that gave me the favourable perspective. Literally a few feet and even inches, can make sucha difference can't it.

[​IMG]

Rob

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, excellent illustration of the real difference that position makes as well as the way changing light affects photos. I definitely prefer the first - the balance is much better. It's one I would print and hang.

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Did you reupload the picture? The halo seems to be much less prominent than it was yesterday.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I agree. 2nd shot is nice. That first one is simply amazing, definitely one to hang!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Since you've reprocessed the first picture to tone down the halo from the original version you posted it does look better. There is some still visible but the transition is not so harsh as it was. When you push an image this far in post process haloing is always something to watch out for, and it takes a fair amount of hand work to blend it back out.