Dream team for OM-D ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by colonelpurple, Feb 7, 2013.

1. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    With sharpness and micro-contrast in mind, I have decided on the following:

Olympus 12mm f2
    Panasonic 25mm f1.4
    Olympus 45mm f1.8
    Olympus 75mm f1.8

I have the 25mm on the way. Will probably get the 12mm next and will receive the 45mm free from Olympus (offer with OM-D in the UK). The 75mm is aspirational as I would use it quite rarely, most of my shooting is in the range 24-50mm FF equiv.

I received 12-50mm with the camera. Nice colours but not the sharpest tool in the box. waiting for the 25mm before I start to assess the camera.
    I used to have 25mm on a GX1, so have major respect for it.

Do you guys think I have missed any other outstanding prime ?

(I looked at the 25mm Voigtlander but it only seems to sharpen and contrast up at f2 which means that the extra weight and MF only over the Panasonic 25mm doesn't seem worth it, unless you specifically want the dreamy look at f0.95) - also what happened to focus peaking on the OM-D ? ... come on Oly!
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    That's a pretty good lineup. I just prefer the smaller (even if less sharper) 17/1.8 and shoot a lot of macros and never felt comfortable with the 45mm's FOV so I have the 60/2.8 (also great for portrait work).
  3. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    The 17mm f1.8 looks a nice lens even if the reviews are average.

Lets see first how my evaluation goes. The Panny 25mm seems like the non-telephoto benchmark for the system

I am a big fan of the 35mm fl so may want to try the 17mm at some time
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I wouldn't say that the reviews are average but that they're mixed. The best way to decide on which reviewers you agree with is to try the lens -- and I agree with Steve Huff and Robin Wong.
  5. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I would say that the 25mm PanaLeica is controversial, rather than a benchmark. Many people seem to swoon over it, but there are a number of reviews and tests claiming that the Panasonic 20mm has better sharpness/resolution. I'd choose between the two based primarily on focal length.
  6. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    I think you have the dream team. I really do dream of having that lens line up with an OMD. If you can afford to, go for it and ENJOY :)
  7. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I carry the following lenses in my dream team:

P20 for landscapes and wide indoor shots
    S30 for urban daytime, some indoor sports, close portraits, and macro with raynox
    O45 for portraits, some landscape, and environmental wildlife
    Pentax 100mm 2.8 because it's sharp and has great color and is easy to focus. And it is far cheaper than O75.
    Pentax 200mm f4 for long telephoto

I find the P20 to have exceptional sharpness for landscapes. But in other situations I can't tell the difference in IQ between the P20, S30, and O45. All three are great and I need all three focal lengths.
  8. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    The 25mm seems to maintain a pretty good and accurate focus
    The 20mm seems to have either a slightly dated focus infrastructure or does not get on as well with newer Olys. An updated 20mm from Panny would seem to address these points.

However, you are right, 10mm is quite a lot. for me I think 24mm and 50mm FF for me are a good combination that would cover most eventualities. 40mm would be great but not perhaps, for me, wide enough for urban buildings, but on the other hand not telephoto enough for narrower landscapes (which i like) or DOF with people combined with the f1.4
  9. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    the sigma lenses are interesting
    I used the 19mm on a Nex-5N, and although the build was cheap it was really, optically, an excellent lens
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Why is the team limited to only the OM-D :confused:
  11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Because the OP owns an OM-D :2thumbs:
  12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I think you just did an extensive reading on what the "best" primes are at the moment, and though you picked up the best (nothing wrong with that at all), not sure if all of them will suit your shooting style.

for example i picked up the O45mm and though it is really sharp and fast, i hardly used it, so i sold it. I had the P14 two times and sold it...but the P20 is my favorite from this system so far (im used to shoot a contax t2 with a 38mm lens). I also found that shooting my P12-35 my favorite lens when travelling, i was shooting a lot in the 12 side, 25 and 35...so instead of going back to the 45 i went with the P25 now.

and all my telephoto needs are filled with the P100-300.

so im not sure how dream team this selection would be for me. but if it works for you thats what matters. more than sharpness and having the best, which is not always good for everyone... my 0.000002 cents.
  13. vcs700s

vcs700s Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    The OP has picked a great set of lenses. The fact that I have picked similar lenses has no bearing on the previous statement. :) The only difference is I have a Sigma 30mm currently but may end up buying the Panasonic 25 or 20 in the future.
  14. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    you are right

the panny 12-35mm f2.8 was very tempting. might still try it out. I was thinking that off the bat I really could use the 2 extra stops of light from, say, the 25mm f1.4. however for daylight the 12-35mm looks very good.
    When I travel I constantly duck into dark corners, so I am normally shooting at f1.4/f2 or f8/f9 and not alot in between!
  15. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I don't know if I've seen any of those reviews, would you have a link...?
  16. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I'd take the 60 macro in preference to the 45 and 75. While it's slower, it adds excellent close-up capability and reduces by one the number of lenses to be carried around.
  17. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Olympus upcoming fast zoom. Time to save some GAS.
  18. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Ultimately, I'd like to see my focal length selection come naturally from review of what I've shot and then pair the dream team down. Almost like attaining a senses of bravery in having large gaps among the selection and leave the rest to the feet. Like maybe, two prime lenses? Sort of a way to reach micro 4/3 nirvana and have a tiny bag with me all the time and nothing else to think about.
  19. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    I will try to make do with a 12mm and 25mm only. Should be fine 99% of the time.

1% of the time I need a telephoto. I think this is going to be either the Oly 75mm or the Panny 35-100mm f2.8

The 45mm f1.8 I get free from Oly in a promotion they are currently running in the UK. This is reviewed well, so lets see if I end up using this focal length much!

20. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    • Like Like x 1