Dream Camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by demiro, Aug 29, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I have somewhat modest dreams, I think. The camera that pops in to my sleeping head lately is as follows:

Rangefinder style with built in EVF. Fuji X-E1 style I suppose.

Articulating or flip high res LCD w/touch controls.

Fixed Lens. 24-105 zoom range. F/1.8 - f/2.8, or 2.8 fixed. (maybe 2.8 - 4 is more realistic).

m4/3s sensor, or APS-C, or even the 1" from Sony RX100.

Macro mode.

Built in flash.

Good, quick AF in video.

Features like super slo mo video, in cam HDR and panorama.

This camera seems possible to me when I look at what Sony has done with RX100 in terms of size. If they can build that camera that small what can be done with a G1X sized body?

Basically I want Fuji or Oly JPEGs, Sony video and features, with fast normal zoom in front a 1" min sensor crammed in to a stylish package a la the Fuji X series or E-P3/GX1. The ultimate snapshot camera for the tech gear geek.

Is that possible? I suppose the glass:sensor relationship is the limiting factor.

Would you want such a camera? At what price?
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If the GX1 had an articulating LCD like the G5, a slightly bigger grip (like the "larger" grip from the E-P3) and a NEX sensor it would be perfect for me.
  3. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I should have added that I want performance like the E-M5. :smile:

The G1X does seem to check off a lot of boxes, but in general actual users seem pretty unimpressed by it. Maybe that is how a camera like this is bound to end up -- just OK.
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Full frame sensor with a 35mm 1.8, embedded in my iPhone without making it bigger. Physics be damned!
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    exactly that, but inside the OMD body for me its perfect. Yes!, basically any film rangefinder SLR camera but with a FF sensor instead of film.
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, a digital version of the OM-2! The OMD is very close for me. The next generation or so sensor will do it for me.
  8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I want an OM-D with built-in Mobile Phone and fully articulating OLED screen ...

Should be easy :biggrin::biggrin:

C U,
  9. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Dreaming of using my GX1 better and actually improving my photography.

With that aside... GX1 with EVF L1 style.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    The only thing I would add to this IBIS, for those bigger lens w/o OIS (i.e. Oly's 75mm). I'd be fine with a tilting LCD, like the one on the EM-5.
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a tilting LCD on my NEX and it's nice but I find it limiting compared to the articulating kind on the G/GH series cameras. I can go either way with IBIS. I've found it to me a must have for me. Then again if it had IBIS I certainly wouldn't pass it up.
  12. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    full frame digital voigtlander bessa
  13. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    lens made of force-field (like in sci-fi) instead of glass, so even a 12-2000mm f1.4 could be projected out of your phone. When you're done shooting, simply switch off the lens-field and the phone fits back in your pocket. And the entire back of the phone is a Large-Format sensor.