Drat. I placed an order for the E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 9, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I said I wasn't going to buy this. Do I really need it?

This picture sure didn't help (that's the 75mm. See the DC Watch page at ￾yCP+￾z￾uOM-D E-M5￾v‚ðƒAƒs￾[ƒ‹‚µ‚½ƒIƒŠƒ“ƒpƒXƒu￾[ƒX - ƒfƒWƒJƒ￾Watch)

I ordered the silver, as I like it better on it's own and with the silver lenses, but I may want the battery grip, and that looks better in black.

Well, at least it's a pre-order. But the early high ISO shots look pretty nice.

Dang. I hate it when I'm weak.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, the silver looks pretty appealing in that picture. It looks nice in this one as well (Also from the DC Watch page which you linked):

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I think Olympus has a real home run on their hands with the E-M5. Such crazy buzz and so many people pre-ordering!

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Dang it, I KNOW where this is heading and I REALLY can't afford it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Not only a home run, but a grand slam out of the park home run !!! :biggrin:

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes. Will be interesting when we get a number telling just how many were pre-ordered altogether. Wonder if it will out do the Fuji numbers which were industry benchmarks?

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Congrats!

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm wondering about this lens. Seems that the equivalent 150mm is quite a bit of over kill for a portrait lens. :confused:

On another note it looks clear to me that the silver color of the lens is VERY different from the silver of the body.

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I'm sorely hankering after this thing too. But then I think if I did pre-order now it would still be at least a month and a half wait, and maybe longer.
    I think when it is finally in people's hands some of my twitch will be satiated by seeing proper reviews and samples.

10. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    My 40th birthday is just around he corner.
    I feel so GAS release will soon take effect.
    It's just a matter of 'body only' or with 12-50 lens :biggrin:

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    This picture should have a NSFW warning! :wink: Damn that looks good!

• Like Like x 1
  12. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    FWIW, the yellow spotlight hides the fact that the lens is "champagne"-colored (like the 12mm f/2.0) whereas the body looks like a matte silver.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    NSFW = "not safe for wallet"

• Like Like x 2
  14. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I"m not convinced yet that it's meant as a formal portait type lens. I see it being more of a stadium type lens for sports photography etc. which can be used for portait type work as well.

We really need to see how well this New sensor works on the OM-D series as also if the 75 is a sharp lens with good control CA or if it comes out as fast average lens.

As for the OM-D.. really want to see some formal testing of it and how well it performs in std. tests as well as real world.

I'm only compliant was that it doesn't come with a starting base ISO of 100..

15. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Picture in Post #11 finally got my “Gear Acquisition Syndrome” or “GAS.” Pre-ordered it and I am still stuck on the iAuto mode on my E-PL1. Will ramp up soon on my photo knowledge before I get it in April.

16. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    :drinks:

I will snatch that Silver body only once I start moonlighting. Can't wait!

17. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you kidding? This is way smaller than a Canon Rebel... but built like a pro-grade E-5 with full weather sealing and full magnesium-alloy frame. No comparison. :) The size of this camera is like an E-P3 with a grip and half of a VF-2 added, or the size of an OM-4T but without the long nose of a lens mount.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    E-M5 shows why Olympus is known as a camera company while Panasonic is known as an electronics company.

20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Looks like it's a tight fit between the grip and the lens though... :frown: