1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dragonfly Hunting~Tokina 75-300 w/extension tube (Oly E M10)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SteveNunez, Apr 1, 2015.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Handheld shots of some dragonflies I found just outside my door near the canal......the E M10's image stabilization is incredible.
    Inexpensive Tokina 75-300 with a macro extension tube (allows close focusing)......lens has massive CA in specular highlights but indirect lighting produces stunning images. P4010617. P4010621. P4010626. P4010681. P4010682. P4010698. P4010704. P4010713. P4010720. P4010727.

• Like Like x 18
  2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Steve, these are beautiful images! I'd love to have stuff like this to put on my walls. My bug photo collection is nothing as good as yours, plus it's very small so far.

3. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
    Wonderful photos, I wish I could capture similar photos. Questions if you don't mind, how heavy is the lens (I do have the E-M10 + ECG1 grip) and is it the manual extension tubes you used?

I did check ebay and this lens seems inexpensive and I'm interested on getting one (what adapter should I buy for this lens?). My only concern is is it too cumbersome to use, you think? Thanks. I do have legacy lenses so I am used to it.

4. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    The Tokina is a bit heavy as it's all metal- quite nice build quality unlike all the other 70-300 variants which use allot of plastic.
    I have some old no-name m4/3 extension tubes that came in a set which you unscrew and use the inside tubes in the lengths you want to alter close-focusing of whatever lens you'd like to attach. I ended up using 2 tubes for a total length of about 1.5 inches- then mounted the Tokina and shot all manual in aperture priority adjusting EV to suit my taste for proper exposure.
    The Tokina is VERY good in non-direct sunlight as it has allot of chromatic aberration in any specular highlights- (see dragonfly veins in sunlight- shades of magenta etc) but aside from the sparkles anything that doesn't sparkle will be VERY sharp!
    I have the Sigma variant of this lens and it's not as good........the Tokina is really razor sharp.
    Most of these shots were 5 feet away or so- the E M10 IS is superb and surely helps here..........with better glass I'm sure better results are possible.
    (I get great shots with the same setup with my Sigma 50-500!)

• Like Like x 1
  5. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
    Very useful info, I might get one with the AF-m43 adapter. Thanks a lot!