1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

DPRreview has an impression of the E-M5 II including the 40MP mode.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Feb 9, 2015.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    And this is in the Panasonic forum, because it was the only forum that didn't have a thread about the Olympus high resolution tripod mode?

• Like Like x 1
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The pics I have seen show it beats a 36 MP D810 at pure resolution. So 40 is about right.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's the lack of moire is that's particularly impressive to me, although not a real world problem with most of the subject matter I shoot. The multi-shot combination aspect will probably negate a lot of the resolution advantage for things like landscape (e.g. foliage that's moving a little, or slightly swaying trees) vs. a 36 MP sensor taking a single shot, so maybe 20-24mp 'real' resolving capability isn't far off, but for truly static subjects it's incredibly impressive. I could see this as a viable alternative to my A7r for certain specific situations, but the FF sensor has a few other features I enjoy too much and fewer compromises on usability (ie handheld). Still, a very interesting development, and this may be my second MFT body a while down the line, when prices drop a little...

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1... not sure why this was posted in the panasonic forum as well. Just to stir up panasonic users?

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I think the extremely limited use for this feature (Mathew Brady 1860 mode), may have the unintended consequence of moving people to high resolution/mp FF cameras so they can shoot all subjects in high rez.

9. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Or vice versa. Couldn't we be overthinking this? Not to mention the negativity -- why invent sarcastic names?

It's brilliant. It apparently works. It brings a new power to the m43 table. It's not suited to moving subjects, so use it where it works, for goodness sake. It's an opportunity.

When you bought an m43 camera, did you make a major point of its high-ISO limitations? Did you call it 'my 9-to-5 camera'? No.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That is funny...I had actually been thinking that this mode offered a chance to experience the challenges of the days of Daguerre.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Until they see the cost of entry getting the new Canon 50mp or the Nikon D800 series and then the lenses capable of properly resolving the detail.....they'll forget about it, unless it was something they were looking at previously.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Pretty much. On the one hand, it's pretty clever what they've done. On the other hand, some of the decisions are a little puzzling.

Taking 8 shots produces 100MB RAW files, but somehow they're only getting 50% of that detail (64MP, not 128MP) if that. Underexposing half the shots.

With 4 shots, done back-to-back, they should be able to get the same resolution, and using the electronic shutter, it ought to be possible to take the exposures within at worst 8x the given single-shot shutter speed, which in daylight would make the need for a tripod far less.

13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The E-M5 Mark 2 generates a 40MP JPEG file, but it's RAW file size is 64MP. It'll be interesting in the future if advanced software can take advantage of its new RAW file to allow some sort of artifact reducing due to motion movement with more powerful desktop computers those enhancing the use of the multi-shot feature? Only time will tell.

Having said that, 40MP is 40MP. 40MP refers to how big you can print not how sharper it will be. You can only realize full resolution and sharpness if you remove as much camera movement you can from the camera itself.

14. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
  15. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I like the Oly solution better than Canon's (instead of releasing a whole new, overcosted body for the small niche of high MP pictures, just use a sensor shifting mode).

The 5Ds is pretty clunky too. To get good sharpness you will be forced to shoot at least at T = 3 x focal length or use a rather high-end tripod. And you will be heavily limited by diffraction when closing the aperture. And then the final picture will be inferior in DR to every modern Sony/Panasonic sensor out there, and lacks Olympus's technique for excellent color reproduction...

16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Searching Google Shopping shows a dearth of "daguerreotype head clamps"; I sense a new market opportunity! (/trademarks "Olympus Head Clamp"...)

Barry

17. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Some of the exposures are only to overlay R, G, and B sensors, hence providing Foveon-like colour information over the 16 MP, hence not every exposure is to produce more resolution, hence not 128 MP.