dpreview's E-PL2 in-depth review posted

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I like the higher max shutter speed and I think its pretty attractive (although compared to the EPL-1 there was nowhere to go but up) but I just bought one for a lab that I manage and I have to say that its a bit less impressive in the flesh. It works great but it feels a bit less solid to me and the accessories look and feel like they cut some costs in the fit and finish department.

Overall, it seems like a nice evolution of the EPL-1 but I can't see enough of a difference to justify the cost of upgrading. The control wheel is nice but I'm used to the buttons on the EPL-1 so it's not a must have feature. The better LCD is very nice but I use my VF2 90% of the time so even that isn't so big a deal. If I were buying new I'd go for the EPL-2 but as an upgrade I think I'll wait for something with a more definite set of advantages. It's not like the limitations of the EPL-1 are holding me back. I'm definitely the limiting factor in that relationship.

joele

Mu-43 Regular
I am a litle confused by the high ISO tests..

They say the APS-C cameras like the NEX is clearly better, but at higher ISO (when you look at RAW) there is clearly more detail in the EPL-2 shots than the NEX shots.. So is Sony using noise reduction in RAW, are their lenses just crappy or is there something wrong with the test procedures???? (or am I just blind?)

Also as you move from ISO 200 -> 400 -> 800 the detail in the RAW image for the Olympus EPL2 clearly gets better and better.. That makes little sense to me, it is more than just the grain adding an impression as detail, compare the 200 -> 400 to prove that...

P.S. This is based on page 7

jambaj0e

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am a litle confused by the high ISO tests..

They say the APS-C cameras like the NEX is clearly better, but at higher ISO (when you look at RAW) there is clearly more detail in the EPL-2 shots than the NEX shots.. So is Sony using noise reduction in RAW, are their lenses just crappy or is there something wrong with the test procedures???? (or am I just blind?)

Also as you move from ISO 200 -> 400 -> 800 the detail in the RAW image for the Olympus EPL2 clearly gets better and better.. That makes little sense to me, it is more than just the grain adding an impression as detail, compare the 200 -> 400 to prove that...

P.S. This is based on page 7

That's what I noticed, too. How is it that the NEX is better than the EPL1 or EPL2?

Latest threads

Top Bottom