DPReview Updates E-M1 Autofocus Impressions - More Positive

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by napilopez, Sep 13, 2013.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Basically, S-AF with 4/3rds lenses seems to be on par with the E-5. Also, the camera has a feature to calibrate all of its PDAF points individually for different lenses. It seems like the slowness they noted might have to do with outdated lens technology when compared with M4/3 lenses.

Perhaps most importantly, however, DPR now seems satisfied with tracking and C-AF performance. They used the M4/3 60mm macro and had no complaints about tracking performance, giving some samples too. Signs point to it being the case that tracking works best with M4/3 lenses, likely due to a smart combination of PDAF *and* CDAF. Not that it's bad with the old lenses, just the new lenses are better.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The DPReview sample focus pictures of the horse are nicely presented. But don't really help as the depth of field included the background as well. That tree remained in focus regardless of where the lady on the horse was.

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Hyperfocal AF-C? :tongue:

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Now that would be good.
    I think they used Hippofocal on the horse.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For C-AF, their explanation makes sense. For S-AF, I don't buy it. In good light, the E-5 is actually quite fast. Unless they're using one of the 14-35/2s (known slow focusers), I don't see where their complaints against the older camera come from.

PDAF calibration is a nice-to-have feature, but the inability to automate the calibration makes it a lot less useful than it might have been. Manually testing and inputting 74 different AF override settings does not sound like something that more than a handful of users will attempt.

6. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    I would like to see a test with the 75mm at f1.8 or even better with the 150 f/2 wide open. Anyways this is a HUGE improvement for m4/3. Finally the first pro camera!

PS : works great with the ZD 300 f/2.8 too (Photography blog) :

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    They've now replaced that second sequence with a better one; this time DoF is shallow enough.

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure either. These videos by a forum member demonstrate it focusing quite fast with 4/3 lenses, with only like only hang-up. That said, given the nature of the vantage point, he couldn't really test the camera focusing on different parts of it range.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52482

The M4/3 lenses are still faster, but the 12-60 isn't slow at all.

• Like Like x 1