Dpreview: Travel Tripods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Djarum, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    • Like Like x 2
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    While review by itself is well done, the selection of tripods is a bit disappointing. $250+ and 3+ lbs is not really in "travel" category in my book - there are better options price- or weight-wise.

• Like Like x 4
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I would consider the Velbon Ultra series of tripods as being true travel tripods: http://www.velbon.co.uk/ultra.html. I have the Ultra Luxi Mini with QHD -61 ball head (both appear to be superseded) and it's excellent. I've had my E-5 and 90-250mm on this tripod and it's been pretty solid, and I recently did some star shots using the E-M1 and 7-14mm f4, and the combination was very stable.

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I picked up a MeFoto backpacker and it is more stable than I expected and very light and compact.

5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have been using a Feisol CT-3441 and CB-40T ballhead for about a year now. Compact, light and stable. I rarely leave home without it.

Mike

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    For the few times I use a tripod, I've been using an Adorama 3Pod CF tripod. It's similar to the MeFoto tripods.
    It's the one with 5 section legs. It JUST carries the camera and lens. It's by no means a beast but I wanted something very light and compact and this does the trick. I also have one of those Manfrotto table-top tripods that looks like a little ball-head microphone.

I sold my Manfrotto 055 + head. I never used once I went digital because it was just too bloody heavy.

7. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Oddly enough, I took my Novoflex Classic Ball 5 off my 055 and attached my Benro gimbal head to it, as I found it to be more practical, versatile and stable. Mind you, when I take it with me, it's usually in the car and it's not carried great distances.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have a Velbon Ultra Maxi L and I like it. It goes really low, you can also mount the column upside-down.
    With legs fully extended it is not that stable, you can see a lot of vibrations when focusing in magnified mode.
    I would expect that from any other comparable travel tripod but I have no others to compare it to.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I bought a Sirui earlier this year anf I'm very impressed with it. Great tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I use my 055ProB with a gimbal and the big 4/3 glass. It works great. (nothing to do with travel of course!)

P6150108.jpg

same body/lens head on the MeFoto:

meFototripod.jpg

sorry for the cell phone shot

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yup...I have two Sirui carbon tripods (a bigger one left over from my DSLR days, and a smaller T-025X for my new mirrorless gear). I have been using both extensively, and have travelled a TON with them...no issues at all...I especially love the T-025X...it fits into my stealthy messenger day-bag, and weighs about 900g/2lbs with the excellent C-10 ballhead.

12. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    The MeFoto DayTrip would be very nice but I don't like that it uses a mini-arca (32mm) instead of the standard Arca (37mm). I'm tired of having different types of QR plates that are not compatible with each others. I will probably change every plate systems to something standard like Arca-Swiss because I don't want to change the plates when I switch from the slider to the tripod to the steadycam, etc.

13. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    these are all $200+.

isn't there a cheap tripod that works well?

14. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You can have cheap, or something that works well and lasts when it comes to tripods; you can't have both.

15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    check comments for that review - there are at least few suggestions.

16. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Hmmm... like mentioned above they're a bit expensive for me, and I think those guys at dpreview travel different to me.

I like to travel light so I usually dont have a tripod; most shutter speeds I get are hand-holdable anyway! I just concentrate on holding my camera properly, and if required I lean against a wall, put my camera on a flat surfaces or just turn on Oly's awesome 5-axis OIS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.