1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dpreview: Travel Tripods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Djarum, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    While review by itself is well done, the selection of tripods is a bit disappointing. $250+ and 3+ lbs is not really in "travel" category in my book - there are better options price- or weight-wise.

• Like Like x 4
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I would consider the Velbon Ultra series of tripods as being true travel tripods: http://www.velbon.co.uk/ultra.html. I have the Ultra Luxi Mini with QHD -61 ball head (both appear to be superseded) and it's excellent. I've had my E-5 and 90-250mm on this tripod and it's been pretty solid, and I recently did some star shots using the E-M1 and 7-14mm f4, and the combination was very stable.

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I picked up a MeFoto backpacker and it is more stable than I expected and very light and compact.

5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have been using a Feisol CT-3441 and CB-40T ballhead for about a year now. Compact, light and stable. I rarely leave home without it.

Mike

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    For the few times I use a tripod, I've been using an Adorama 3Pod CF tripod. It's similar to the MeFoto tripods.
    It's the one with 5 section legs. It JUST carries the camera and lens. It's by no means a beast but I wanted something very light and compact and this does the trick. I also have one of those Manfrotto table-top tripods that looks like a little ball-head microphone.

I sold my Manfrotto 055 + head. I never used once I went digital because it was just too bloody heavy.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Oddly enough, I took my Novoflex Classic Ball 5 off my 055 and attached my Benro gimbal head to it, as I found it to be more practical, versatile and stable. Mind you, when I take it with me, it's usually in the car and it's not carried great distances.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have a Velbon Ultra Maxi L and I like it. It goes really low, you can also mount the column upside-down.
    With legs fully extended it is not that stable, you can see a lot of vibrations when focusing in magnified mode.
    I would expect that from any other comparable travel tripod but I have no others to compare it to.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I bought a Sirui earlier this year anf I'm very impressed with it. Great tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I use my 055ProB with a gimbal and the big 4/3 glass. It works great. (nothing to do with travel of course!)

P6150108.

same body/lens head on the MeFoto:

meFototripod.

sorry for the cell phone shot

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yup...I have two Sirui carbon tripods (a bigger one left over from my DSLR days, and a smaller T-025X for my new mirrorless gear). I have been using both extensively, and have travelled a TON with them...no issues at all...I especially love the T-025X...it fits into my stealthy messenger day-bag, and weighs about 900g/2lbs with the excellent C-10 ballhead.

12. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    The MeFoto DayTrip would be very nice but I don't like that it uses a mini-arca (32mm) instead of the standard Arca (37mm). I'm tired of having different types of QR plates that are not compatible with each others. I will probably change every plate systems to something standard like Arca-Swiss because I don't want to change the plates when I switch from the slider to the tripod to the steadycam, etc.

13. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    these are all $200+.

isn't there a cheap tripod that works well?

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You can have cheap, or something that works well and lasts when it comes to tripods; you can't have both.

15. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    check comments for that review - there are at least few suggestions.

16. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Hmmm... like mentioned above they're a bit expensive for me, and I think those guys at dpreview travel different to me.

I like to travel light so I usually dont have a tripod; most shutter speeds I get are hand-holdable anyway! I just concentrate on holding my camera properly, and if required I lean against a wall, put my camera on a flat surfaces or just turn on Oly's awesome 5-axis OIS.