1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DPReview Reviews the E-P5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dougjgreen, Oct 3, 2013.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
  2. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Ouch! That's gonna hurt future sales...

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I routinely use the 1/8 sec Anti-Shock on all my cameras and have never had a problem.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What do yo do in situations that can't tolerate an 1/8th of a second additional delay?

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That's certainly disappointing. Have any other reviews highlighted this problem yet?

6. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I can see this being a big concern for many and that statement alone would be enough to stop me from getting one. No camera now days should have an issue like this, much less at the price point we are paying for these M4/3's bodies. I use Panny bodies, but can assume Oly has no electronic shutter or silent mode (which comes with it's own set of issues).

7. I'm a little confused here. Does the E-P5 have a very stiff shutter button? The EPx Pens have never been particularly light for their size, and there are certainly much lighter cameras available in Micro 4/3, mirrorless, and fixed-lens compacts. Their logic of bigger and heavier cameras being more stable doesn't explain why the E-P5 should be particularly bad.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I believe that DPReview is mistaken in attributing the cause to the shutter button. I would expect that the actual cause is the shutter curtain itself, coming to a halt before restarting at the particular speeds (1/60th to ~ 1/250th) where this is an issue. At faster speeds, the curtain travels continuously, and at slower speeds the vibration damps itself out prior to most of the exposure

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Don't many other mirror less cameras suffer from this too? It seems to me they are pointing it out on this camera while it exists on others as well with no mention from them. Is this something new they are looking for?

10. Mike Ronesia

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    Maybe it is just notably worse. I think they would have stated it differently otherwise.

11. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This is my thought too. E-m1? I'll buy that. Ep5 is a good bit heavier. Again, is it just now they are pointing it out?

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I've run into it on my G5 (the electronic shutter is the only workaround I can find other than avoiding the speeds from 1/60th to 1/200th when using legacy telephotos. I also believe, from everything I know about shutter shock that shutter shock is the actual reason that some some, if not most 2-axis IBIS implementations, including on the E-PL5 and maybe the GX7 as well, are seemingly not very effective in certain testing - because in many cases, the speeds at which the tests are taking place are within the danger zone for shutter shock.

13. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Question

Still learning so have to ask. What would be an example?

Thanks.

14. They make some statements which seem to mostly but perhaps not totally blame the problem on the action of the shutter button, such as:

In each case they use the term "reduces shake" not "removes shake", implying that there is still something else at play, likely the shutter mechanism as you say. However, saying that using the touchscreen "significatly reduces shake" implies that most of the blame is in their action of pressing the shutter. Incidentally, this flies in the face of comments made in their earlier reviews of touchscreen cameras that a touchscreen shutter release increases camera shake. From the GH2 review back in 2011:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2/9

15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Just about any sports, wildlife (for example, catching a breaching whale), fast moving kids, etc.

16. Mike Ronesia

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    It is amazing how quickly a facial expression can change, and then there are things that are moving, like kids.

17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've never noticed the extra 1/8 second causing me to miss anything, but then my normal mid-breath pause and squeeze to shoot technique would prevent me from activating the shutter button much faster than that anyway.

18. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The review has some other oddities as well. If you set the overall rating widget at the end to compare it with the E-M5 you see they rated it down for video and viewfinder quite a bit relative to the OM-D when the E-P5 has actually had some upgrades in both of those areas.

19. Mike Ronesia

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    Like the new "invisible" view finder? I would guess it's marked down because it lacks a built in EVF. As far as video goes I think the better IBIS is the key to the EM5 being better.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Do the Pen shutters move vertically?