1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DPReview Posts Informal Lumix G 20/1.7 vs Leica DG Summilux 25/1.4 Shootout

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 3
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Very nice indeed - it appears to be slightly sharper and render colours slightly more saturated than the 20mm.... hope the Oly 45mm turns out to be as good as these two lenses....

• Like Like x 1
  3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i never thought i would be saying this but....in that last picture comparison:

"a wild bokehmon has appeared!"

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You know in looking at those images it seems to me that they are almost too close to call. I agree the Leica seems to render a bit more saturated but I think sharpness is a tossup.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmmm. Need to see more. I am a little concerned that I detect some of those slightly ethereal things about the 25: tone, character, warmth, contrast - that are significantly different than the 20.

This does not necessarily mean better, just different. Same camera and settings, yet a different feel.

This concerns me because I find the character of the 25 attractive, and I don't want to have to buy it.

Anyway, much more comparison needed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I saw this earlier, but it didn't help convince me to pre-order the PL25. It is certainly has shown to have a desirable bokeh quality (to me) from most of the samples online.

But that pic of the guy.. seems unfair to the 20/1.7, seems like it's at a slightly different angle.

Need more samples =) and an AF review. I don't think the 20/1.7 is all that porky, but faster and silent might actually be worthwhile to add.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The photo of the guy is a bit unfair, but some of that difference just has to do with how much closer one needs to get to have the same framing. The 20 can have a much wider feel, which is one reason I like it so much, but not so great for head/shoulder portraits unless you want that very close perspective.

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I agree that the portrait with the 20/1.7 was a fair comparison because of the angle. The PL25 does show a little bit better sharpness. As expected, it has a shallower DOF, and the bokeh is a bit more creamy, IMO.

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Any size comparisons of the lens themselves? One of the best assets of the 20 is the size. I hope the PL25 is not more than 2x the size of the 20.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I can think of no better way to pit Micro Four Thirds owner against Micro Four Thirds owner! :wink:

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't know of a direct size comparison, but based on the comparison shown to the 14/2.5 and 14-42 at CNET Asia, I'd say the PL25 is just about 2x the size of the 20.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I should add though, if the oly 12/2 proves to be as good or better than the 20/1.7... I will probably buy it. And it would pair w/ a PL25 for me much much better =) And if the 45/1.8 is also as good... I will be a very very happy m43 camper.

13. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Indeed, I was all set to get the 20/1.7, but now I am seriously considering the 45/1.8 instead. I'll have to see test shots first... but the rumoured price is attractive ($300). What I am debating is which FOV I would prefer, and how much I would really take advantage of the smaller size of the 20.

14. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Instant classic

I own the 4/3rds equivalent to the PL25 and they seem to speak to each other... the new one may be slightly sharper with a touch less CA, but retains that overall softish/warm character that draws you in. I also find the new PL25 and the 20/.7 to be very different in that regard, at least from samples of the former to date (I think the creamy bokeh reinforces that perspective).

Unreal rendition capabilities.

Bokeh D

The 4/3rds PL25 becomes clinical with a CP filter....

Attached Files:

15. eplutz

eplutz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Not having the 20/1.7 (my GF2 kit came with the 14mm), I figured I may as well order the PL25 given that at Henry's it was only another $140 or so... I'm not sure where I am in the preorder list but as soon as I get it I'll post some shots :-D

16. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    1) I can't believe it :eek: They dared the brick wall!
    And yucch... to make it worse, the sky is overcast? You can't learn or conclude anything from such shots. This is not a lens target, it's just a bore. And it casts a doubt on everything else: is the cameras stable, the focus double-checked, the exposure consistent?

2) Excellent illustration as to why shorter lenses tend to make caricatures out of portraits. Next lesson will be about the fisheye...

3) Surely informal shootout... Looks like the credits screen in a late, not to say senile, Bergman movie.

However, it does point to some information about the Leica lens:
    • a. The blurred picture frame on the wall has double edges
    • b. The round highlights on the table edge exhibit double contours too, and their edges have distinct red and green outlines.
    • a+b= this kind of bokeh is certainly not ideal, and I find the Panasonic's less disturbing, as in more natural, even taking in account the change of scale.