1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DPReview picks 3 M4/3 cameras among their 10 best values

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dougjgreen, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
  2. melvin.richard@gmail.com

melvin.richard@gmail.com New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2012
    manual controls

Interesting that they consider a whole bunch of manual controls to be a plus. For me its a very definate minus. Just more buttons to memorize and accidently push. The worst offender is that awful mode dial on the top of the camera. For me all it does is turn when I am not looking and put me in movie mode when I think I am in A mode. Give me the slick, convenient menus of the pm1 or pm2 any day of the week.

3. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    But I like automatic cameras. If it thinks I should be in "Movie mode", well, it know best! :)

Seriously, I'm not with you on the "accidental change" phenomenon. I'm not sure where the problem is coming from. I like direct access via buttons or dials.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You are definitely in the minority.

Manual controls allow many of us to shoot with a fast, efficient workflow without going into menus to change settings.

5. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i kinda like to just "set it and forget it"

6. melvin.richard@gmail.com

melvin.richard@gmail.com New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2012
    buttons

Do you really change settings during a shoot? I use buttons to change exposure compensation and fstop. All else stays constant from one month to the next. I have set the focus to be center spot and I use the half-way shutter to focus. Maybe once or twice a year I lock the exposure using the programable button. Many people are so confused by the babel of buttons on digital cameras that they never get beyond auto mode. The secret is to realize that digital cameras are not really more complicated than the old film cameras once one learns to ignore all the hype. I still have my Pentax Spotmatic where you had nice user friendly rings on the lens to rotate instead of buttons.

7. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I can't speak for the rest of the world, but manual controls are definitely a plus for me. I want to be able to control every aspect of exposure and focus that I can, and I don't want to go through menus to do it. I'd be happier with my OMD if there was a dedicated ISO button.

8. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I love my manual controls and I use my custom saved settings for my generic shooting when out and about.

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I am constantly changing settings and lenses while shooting. I use back button focus and lock my exposure with the half press, (typically spot), all the time in uneven lighting conditions. I rarely use exposure compensation ... I guess because I'm usually shooting in Manual ... and it's easier to over or under expose than fiddle with exposure compensation. I hate menus ... all they do is slow you up while shooting.

Gary

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    This post and associated comments epitomizes the difference in photographic attitudes from those who grew up using analogue cameras and learnt to control their output manually, and the newer generation of users who are used to the "auto everything" capability and find the process of using dials to change capture capabilities tedious and time consuming.

I am one of the former who went through formal photographic training and spent years as a professional using all formats between 35mm/6x6/6x7/6x9/4x5 & 10x8 - we had to load sheet film manually, use handheld light meters/colour meters/flash meters and control our images using manual input for shutter speed/aperture...........we had to think rather than letting the camera think for us.

Todays cameras are in most cases the true epitome of "point and shoot" and often the users do just that.

Give me a camera with manual input capability so that I can control the camera and achieve the capture I want, it for me is far more rewarding and if it goes wrong I can only blame myself!

Dials/retro for me please!!!!!!!!

11. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Sometimes I like auto for just quick snaps...but other times I really need to override the camera as it doesn't necessarily know my creative take on thing and I might not want a "perfect" picture...In other words I want my own style...For those times, which is the majority of the time, having manual control, direct access buttons to control the 3 more important things to me; aperture, shutter speed and ISO (ASA :)) That way I can make it take the picture that I want and not what someone in an office in Japan thinks I want...

12. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    I think the difference is more in the attitude and how serious you take photography. Not sure if it really is a generation thing...

I picked up photography not so long ago and never had a analog film camera, first I had a canon ixus something and then upgraded to a Panasonic Lumix TZ 4, both cameras which are mostly used in auto-mode.

About 1 1/2 years ago I wanted better quality, more speed and options and have bought into m43 with a GF-3. Sold it after 4 months or so, why? Because the lack of controls drove me crazy. Changing modes, ISO, exposure comp., getting a DOF preview... everything needed a dive into the menus.

With the G5 I'm pretty happy.

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Totally agree

I totally agree and was in no way implying it was a generational thing.

Many good photo degrees still teach the basics with manual cameras and still cover use of large format (4x5 / 10x8) as they are still used for technical photography and landscape work in certain circumstances.

It is also interesting to see that many programmes are promoting use of analogue cameras with full manual controls rather than starting on digital so a generation gap it certainly is not.

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I suspect you mean manual to mean direct control rather than manual being not using automatic mode.
    I feel forced to change lots of settings from shot to shot. Sometimes needing to lock the focus, change the ISO at low light, set a high shutter speed to capture movement or open the aperture for a shallow depth of field. Even change a whole load of settings for tripod work.
    When I get home and go through the pictures and find some great picture spoilt by a poor choice of setting, that is my motivation.

The OM-D has a lot of possibilities, yet a lot of flaws in its ergonomics. (Partly corrected in the EP-5) so it's frustrating when you are shooting under pressure and relatively new to the camera. Quick" I need MF or a high shutter speed. Aargh!

Incidentally I also started out with manual analog days. So I said to Fox Talbot, I said "Oy Foxy! Me ol' mucker! Nice lattice window! Bit grainy though. Which Art Filter did you use?"

15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    In probably 7-8 years of browsing various digital photography sites, that is the first reference to Fox Talbot I have seen. I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the folks here, perhaps 90%, don't know who William Henry Fox Talbot was.

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Manual controls are a definite plus for me. Everytime I get a camera without them thinking I'll "make do", I end up getting rid of it. The E-M5 is a keeper, though, in large part because of the wonderful controls it offers. Like Gary, I usually shoot in manual mode, and I like it that way. Controls are good.

17. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    The IBIS in my EP1 gave up last month and I bought a GX1 to replace it. The price of the GX1 is today so low it's a great bargain. The GX1, X 14-42 and the 20, 1.7 was a total of equivalent to about 830 USD, when it was just released the cost for this set was about 2270 USD. This is in Sweden and I've no idea about prices in the US. I wanted a small camera but the low price of the GX1 played a big part in my decision.

When it comes to manual vs automatic control isn't there enough cameras available to make everyone happy?

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I love the E-M5 precisely because of all the dials I can adjust. I don't shoot 'shoots', I mostly shoot when I travel, which means constantly changing light, styles, and differing requirements. I want quick and easy access to the basics (aperture and/or shutter, exposure comp, ISO) as well as the other fairly essential features (metering, autofocus selection, drive mode), and I'd prefer to be able to adjust it all without taking my eye from the viewfinder, so dedicated dials (or close enough) are a big plus, rather than obligatory multifuncitonal buttons.

19. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Manual settings are a big plus for me.
    Like someone said before in this thread, I also don't like to dive into the menu to change critical and useful settings.
    I own a Pany G5, but I missed the manual control buttons of my old G1.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yeah dude I do. It's called being creative.