DPReview Panasonic GF-3 Review!!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by playak47, Aug 11, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I was just thinking to myself where the heck are all the DPR reviews. It's been like 2 months, and we've only had one review.
  2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Looks like a winner (for it's target market).
    It's a shame about the flash position though.

I wonder why it's still using the same 12mp sensor. Perhaps Panasonic can't make enough of the newer sensors (which would also potentially help explain why Oly can't get any of Panny's new sensors either).

This will get real interesting once the E-PM1 comes out... however it lacks a touchscreen. Having got a GF2 recently I must say the touchscreen UI on it is utterly FANTASTIC. Really, really well done. Wish it was capacitive though...
  4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Not too familiar with the GF3, but maybe the processor isn't powerful enough to handle 16mp.
  5. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Panasonic and Olympus structure their product lines oppositely.

Pansonic has almost same features in all of the lines but the sensor is different.

Olympus has same sensor through the line but the features are different.

Either way it sucks for us unless we get premium version. I wish touch screen was in all olympus. Thats a must have IMO.
  6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Ya, I keep thinking about how nice a touchscreen would be each time I have to change the AF point or the MF zoom square.
  7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I know the terms "game-changer" has been tossed around a bit liberally, but a touchscreen for AF point selection is (for me) indeed one of those game-changers.

After using it on both the GF2 and E-P3, I wouldn't want to go back to the focus-and-recompose technique (unless I'm using the viewfinder though... in that case I have no choice :rofl: )
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried an E-P2 out to get a taste of Olympus. I'm pretty fast at learning menu systems, but comparing the way the E-P2 handled versus both my G3 and GF2, I ended up returning the camera. The E-P2 wasn't hard, but it just wasn't as fast or intuitive as my Panasonic bodies. I have both my Panys set exactly the same and the handling is near identical. The customizable menu and touch screen interface on Panasonic bodies is awesome.