Dpreview of EP3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Starred, Aug 17, 2011.

1. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Basically a great camera, pity about the sensor..... to be expected I suppose....

2. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Pages and pages of white text on a black background, that site drives me nuts!

• Like Like x 1
  3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    One thing for sure is that looking at the review pictures in thumbnails on dpreview site one can see all the color pop out. I dont see that with Panasonic camera. I am too confused on which body will be my next. But nonetheless e-p3 is awesome camera, i just wish it offered more sensor wise.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Outstanding well-written and in-depth review.

I really appreciate their sections on noise + sharpening and gradation... off to tweak the settings on my E-P3 :biggrin:

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Agreed. I like their reviews a lot and I always go there first, but they need to change the font and screen colors.

6. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    If you're using a Mac then you can change any white text on black webpage to black text on white or vice versa by pressing the Ctrl, Option, Command and 8 keys simultaneously. It will also change all other colours into their opposites. There's probably a way to do this in Windows too - on the Mac the option comes under 'universal access' so I guess look under the Windows equivalent in the preferences. Hope that makes reading that site a bit more of a pleasure!

• Like Like x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree. I can't stand tiny white font on black text. Eyes bug out!

8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    That review was more thorough than the actual manual. No wonder it took them weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :rofl:

10. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    Great tip, thanks.

11. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    No surprises. Had some residual hope that RAW was a little better, but guess not. There's no doubt the Jpeg engine is better in dealing with noise.

Makes me wonder what Oly has up their sleeve for the next 6 months. In the meantime - lovin' the handling and speed of my E-P3...

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    After reading the review I decided to skip this update and wait for e-pl4/e-pm2, etc. There is little doubt we'll see some new models with new sensor within the next 6 months. It seems that Olympus was not totally honest stating that brand new sensor was used. And by the way, 16MP vs 12MP does make significant difference when cropping which is especially important for macro.

13. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I bought into the line that megapixels is a "myth", but it is BS. Even upgrading from 10MP to 12MP, I noticed a pretty big difference in how much I am able to crop. Between the extra cropping ability and the use of 16:9 overlay on the camera, it has improved my composition quite a bit. I can take pictures at wider angles and not have to worry about my subject clipping outside the frame.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    After reading the review I feel like the E-P3 looks like a terrific bit of gear but not really worth it to me to spend the money on. The things that it does that are superior to my current camera(s) aren't things I find that I need at the moment and for now I'll do more by practicing and learning from my copious mistakes to improve my photos than I will from getting a shiny E-P3 (or E-PL3). It's nice to see this stuff get produced because it means that m43 will continue to be viable and give us all more choices.

Good all around.

15. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I liked the E-P3 so much I bought one to replace my E-P1.

Yes, this is very much the camera the E-P1 should have been.

Mid level ISO (1600, 2000) performance is excellent. I cannot comment on RAW output until I have decent RAW converter compatibility (Adobe Camera RAW). Jpegs are clean and low noise but they get there by removing a little detail. Overall, image quality is very good; handling is excellent and very responsive and always loved the size of the kit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't think this is the whole story, or even that much of it. The X100 is a 12mp camera. The GH2 is 16. I can crop the X100 files to 100% and be very happy with the detail. I couldn't come close to that with the GH2. So sensor size and other variables have a pretty good impact too. FWIW, I'm comfortable cropping as much with the EP3 as I was with the GH2, but neither comes close to the X100.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  17. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Also, if you use Lion and Safari browser, there is that lovely "Reader" option... :smile:

(BTW i like more white/grey on dark. In fact i'm using the dark theme for mu43...)

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lens and sensor quality also matter. The physically larger sensor of the X100 helps. From what I've read and heard from friends with the X100, Fuji pretty much gave precedence to IQ whenever there was a potential trade off to be made. (I think this is a good choice, BTW). I suspect that Olympus and Panasonic are moving along as fast as they can given their current resources. Reading this forum (or especially 43 Rumors) it seems there are many conflicting wants in the 43 user group and no matter what choices Oly makes the disappointed faction dominates the posts. After all, not as many people post just to say "I like it" and if you do defend the choice you're a fanboy.:rolleyes:

19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I like it. :cool:

I think you're right though. And I'm personally not bothered by Olympus not making the ultimate IQ their priority. Anyone who's very top priority is image quality is NOT going to choose an m43 setup in the first place, even the top of the line sensor'd GH2. Its slightly better in low light and in detail than the EP3 (but not different enough to matter to me), but not close to the X100 or various other APS or FF cameras. The whole point of m43 is a compromise between really good (if not quite up to the best) IQ and really portable gear (if not quite as portable as a true compact). For me its the right tradeoff. I'm glad to have an X100 also for the times when I really want the best IQ and low light performance I can get. And I'm really glad to have a GRD3 for when I want it REALLY portable and unobtrusive. But I'm more than happy with the EP3 IQ for almost everything I shoot. And just as happy with it as I was with the GH2, which I didn't really enjoy shooting with.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1