DPReview Loving Micro Four Thirds Right Now

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'd like to see them emphasize and discuss in more detail the lens lineups available for each camera discussed. While it's true that the "average" camera buyer will only use the "kit lens", lens selection should be a major (if not the major) issue an enthusiast considers when buying into a new system.

• Like Like x 3
  2. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Here was an attempt (mirrorless only): http://photographylife.com/mirrorless-camera-comparison#more-58534
    The lens selection for Canon/Nikon will be too complicated for anyone to summarize in a nice table like that. Third-party lenses, compatibility even within the same system, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Doesn't need much detail; there's only two kinds of :43: lenses:

Those lenses that I can't afford (a VERY long list) and those I can afford ( and those can be counted on both hands. By a cartoon character who doesn't have thumbs).

:biggrin:

gd&r verra verra fast....

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  4. Captiva

Captiva Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Whatever. I don't need that site's approval for my equipment choices. Too many mean arrogant jerks there.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm probably a bad person, but I actually miss the older more acerbic reviews/articles from DPR (and their writer, Phil Askey).

That said, it's good to see m4/3 getting some recognition, and while unfortunately I don't think it will have that much impact on the camera-buying market, hopefully it will encourage more folks to try m4/3.

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    :mad:
    The only thing that is going to encourage more people to buy is to have them for sale in the Big Box stores...If it isn't at Walmart or Bestbuy, it must not be any good.

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 3
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Combined with some real marketing, which includes, but isn't limited to, advertising in the mass media.

9. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I was actually shocked by DPR's coverage too, but seeing that their M43 forum is the most active one out of all the forums, so it's actually more like "catering to the readers who have seen the light" :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The problem with DPReview is that it sucks. At least, it sucks a LOT more than it did only a few years ago.

11. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Really? Despite their crappy, troll/flamer-ridden forums, I've liked their reviews for the most part.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Their reviews, when they eventually post them up, are very thorough and insightful. Forums are terrible though, I'll give you that.

They also made a post today, a roundup of the best third party lenses for all systems, which includes the Samyang fisheye and the Voigtlander primes. To be fair they have been on board with mft from the start really, I bought the GF1 off the back of their review.

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    What's there not to love? :biggrin:

14. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
  15. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That was THE decisive factor for me. I really liked the Sony and Fuji bodies, but the lens selection for both (especially Fuji) was rather sad compared to M4/3, so I went with M4/3. :)

16. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    So many awards given.... by the time I got to the end it felt like 'everyone's a winner'!