DPReview just posted samples from the new NEX lenses: 35/1.8, 10-18/4, and 16-50 kit zoom

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A lot of current and potential MFT are also interested in the NEX system, and DPR just published some samples from a couple of the key new NEX lenses.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/1...10-18mm-F4-35mm-F1-8-16-50mm-3-5-5-6-on-NEX-6

I was disappointed in the shot selection, which gives no insight into the edge performance of the ultrawide at the wide end of its zoom range and very little insight into the wide open sharpness/contrast or bokeh of the 35/1.8. Also their review sample 10-18mm zoom looks to have significant decentering based on the blurry left edge in the 16mm f/4 sample they provided (Sony05_10-18_DSC020).

A couple of the 35/1.8 samples (Sony19_35_DSC059 and Sony12_35_DSC069) show obvious longitudinal CA, which is a pet peeve of mine. The PL25 also exhibits this type of CA. I'll need to see more samples from the Sony to see how it compares to the PL in this respect.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm taking a short break from m43 currently. Playing with some different stuff (full frame and NEX). I have no m43 body, though I've retained the lenses.

I'm about ready to throw my NEX across the room! The voigtlander manual focus lenses I have do a great job, but I get tired of MF and find peaking to only be 70% hit rate, which means I have to magnify anyway, or risk missing the shot, thus negating the peaking advantage. And I find peaking to be LESS useful on moving objects. I could nail moving objects with the VF2 in m43 and manual lenses, but the peaking is so distracting, it slows down MF, in my experience so far.

But the AF lenses are just so bad! My 16 is so soft it's practically squishy and the 18-55 is only marginally better. I've never gotten a "bad copy" of an m43 lens. Why can't Sony make a real lens in the $300-500 range!?!? I just ordered the Sigma 19/1.8 to try it out, but was interested in the 35/1.8, even though the PL25/1.4 is 2/3 of a stop faster, and pretty much negates the high ISO and DOF advantage of the NEX over m43.

Sony should be making some 1.4 lenses in the $500-600 initial list price, other wise what's the point of the sensor and ISO advantage?

Sorry. I think I'm ranting now. I'll get off my soap box.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My main system is MFT and that isn't going to change anytime soon. I'm currently without an NEX camera, but I still think that system holds promise if they can get the lens situation right. Like you, I didn't find peaking to be all it was cracked up to be, and when all said and done I like my autofocus.

I thought the NEX 16/2.8 was a decent lens, and I found the Sigma 19/2.8 to be a good lens, but I didn't love other one. The Sony 35/1.8 is an important lens for that system, and I'm looking forward to seeing more samples from it.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looking through the samples, it seems they were out to test the NEX6 more than the lenses. A lot of really high ISO shots, which dont show off lenses. This shot with the 35, for instance, is at f/5.0 so they can use ISO25,600 (and it looks like a water color painting). http://g3.img-dpreview.com/CEFCB9BC90EF4758BDE4FD6B2EB62C29.jpg

The 10-18, though, looks kind of soft to me.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've got close to no interest in how the NEX 6 sensor performs. There's a 99% chance it's gonna be great just like all the other NEX sensors. The lens issue is critical for that system.

6. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Amsterdam-Diemen
    Yes, the lack of high quality NEX lenses is critical and might drive me back to MFT. The only lens I've used with any kind of consistent sharpness across the frame as well as good contrast and bokeh is the Zeiss branded E 24mm F1.8. Maybe the new crop of lenses is better, but I won't make a decision as to which system to use going forward until the first reliable lens test are available. Even then, there's still no fast telephoto solution for the NEX system.

IF the NEX E 10-18 turns out to be as good optically as the Lumix 7-14, then I might stick with the NEX system. If not, I'll consider an E-M5 or GX2 (only if it ends up having a tilting screen).

7. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Amsterdam-Diemen
    I still feel that peaking is a valuable aid for manually focusing legacy lenses. It took me a long time to learn under which conditions I could rely on it though. Once I understood that, my hit rate was very high. Granted, it's tougher focusing on moving subjects, but AF systems sometimes struggle here as well. Still, with sufficient DOF, I could usually focus on not too quickly moving subjects by relying on the unmagnified view in the high resolution EVF.

I agree that peaking can be distracting at times: in some high contrast situations, the colored highlights overwhelm the preview image. I wish that a half press of the shutter would clear the highlights.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The 35mm interests me but only if it can be shown to be better wide-open than the DPReview samples indicate.
    The NEX6 body is still very interesting but the price seems a bit ridiculous, given the opposition at this moment in time.

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    It's a good thing that I came across this thread before splashing out on a NEX-5N. I was going to pair that with my Voigtlander M-mount lenses because of focus peaking, but I think I will stick with my m4/3 cameras for now!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I think we should request Amin to fit some kind of sensor which should scan the sentence' I dont have MFT body' and automatically bar the person from this forum .Suddenly u look like a spy from enemy camp:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. To be honest .. NEX system is still in Nappies and MFT is a toddler running around . I used a NEX 5N for one week with 16 mm and kit lens - It was an opening experience which re enforced my faith in MFT . I wont even give up my EPL2 for NEX 5N ,leave aside OMD. I am thinking of picking up Fuji X100 as glove box camera as OMD gets a bit too much sometimes .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Every system is a compromise, including m43. For me, though, lenses are key to the system, and Nex just doesn't seem to match up to m43 yet. If I really felt I needed a larger sensor, I think I'd choose a small DSLR before Nex.

12. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    It depends on what you're shooting, but in my experience with the Nex 5N and Nex 7 plus pretty much every damn m43 body is that they're both very good systems. The Sony/Zeiss 24mm is every bit as sharp as any of the m43 primes from f2 on...then again it should be at $1100.

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes, but that's only one lens, isn't it?

14. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Well the 50mm is good and I really like focus peaking, but...I'm using an OMD with the 12mm/20mm/60mm macro and other lenses....m43 has way better native lenses. All the old SLR lenses I love to use with the NEX/Focus peaking, well...IBIS works nicely in different ways.

15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I picked up a NEX-7 and have been using it with the Sigma 19 (tried and returned a couple other E lenses). All was good until I picked up the Panasonic 12-35. Very happy with the quality there and love the idea of having a weather/dust sealed setup for what I am doing. I was then thinking that I would grab the upcoming 35/1.8, and use the N7 as my normal FoV... but then I received my preorder of the Olympus 75/1.8 and now thinking it would actually be a lot more useful to have a second m4/3 body. :rofl:

It really does seem to always come back to the lenses (I am interested in native/AF).

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree. The AF lens options are weak. I'm keeping the 5n as a digital back to my CV40/1.4, because those two when paired are very, very nice. The lens won't lose value, and the 5n didn't cost me much. But I don't think I'll be bothering with any of the AF lenses.

17. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Yeah, I really like the 60mm eq. focal length too...I used a 5-N and a 40mm f1.8 Konica Hexanon AR on my last visit to Colombia and a lot of the shots turned out quite nice (well for me anyways).

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Would it seem that Fuji X is pushing ahead in lenses as a system, vs NEX?

Perhaps future developments in relation to the Sony/Olympus alliance will give Sony an advantage (i.e. Zuiko designed NEX lenses). For the time being, it's a shame a system like NEX is handicapped by poor lens selection.

19. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    You know what's funny? What happened to all of those Minolta engineers that Sony bought? Lens design has not evolved by THAT much?

• Like Like x 1