1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Dpreview full PEN-F review up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by heli-mech, Feb 24, 2016.

1. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    History Repeating: Olympus PEN-F Review

Pros
    • Excellent JPEG and Raw image quality and no signs of shutter shock
    • Gorgeous design, impressive attention to detail
    • Enjoyable shooting experience
    • Plenty of control points, including dual-control wheels and a dedicated exposure comp dial
    • Responsive and accurate AF system works well when shooting in AF-S
    • Face and Eye Detect are useful for portraiture
    • 5-axis image stabilization is effective for stills and videos
    • High-res electronic viewfinder
    • Fully-articulating touch-LCD is useful for still and video capture
    • Easy-to-use Wi-Fi
    • Cool and useful features like 4K Timelapse and High Res Shot mode
    • Included tilting/swiveling FL-LM3 flash unit is useful, especially as a fill flash
    • Film presets are enjoyable, especially for JPEG shooters
    Cons
    • Contrast Detect AF system struggles to keep focus on moving subjects, especially when shooting a burst
    • Simplistic Auto ISO; not available when recording video
    • No headphone or mic jack
    • No 4K video
    • No weather-sealing
    • Menus can be overwhelming
    • Function of Creative Mode selector on front of camera can not be customized
    • Due to its rangefinder-style design, it can be awkward to use with anything other than small primes

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    Well according to DPR its Best reviewed M43 camera since the GH4 in 2014, Its also one of the best reviewed Mirrorless cameras in the last 2 years, only beaten out by a few cameras (the 2 new A7s for example) I am pretty sure it scores as the second best Oly M43 camera ever reviewed at DPR (Behind the awesome EM-1) .

Thats pretty cool for OLY and M43:)

And suprise suprise, the reviewer was initially dismayed by the front dial and then grew to like it after a few days of use. Much like the experience of some people on these forums. (I reserved judgement until I tried it and now I like it and use it more than I thought I would - In mainly mono mode so far)

DPR scores for some recent M43 cameras
    GH4 85 /2014
    EM1 84 /2013
    Pen F 82
    Em5mkii 81
    Em102 80
    G7 80
    Em10 80
    GX7 79
    PEn EP-5 78
    Pen EPM-2 77

other APS C comp

a6000 80
    x100t 81
    xt10 80

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Yep and he also repeatedly says that he wishes the front dial was customizable just like the majority of people that don't like it. As far as the "score" goes if you can explain DPreviews scoring system, I and probably many others would love to hear it. Not saying the PEN is or isn't the best, just their scoring is probably the most irrelevant/inconsistent thing about their reviews.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    Ahh I'm going to sit back and enjoy my new camera getting a pretty postive review... but oh..

Haha I knew you would be in here to find the bad in all of this..

PS, even If I could re-map the front dial I have started to enjoy it being there.
    Something that comes with using the camera for a while I suppose

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Its called counter point, its not my statement it was the same reviewer you quoted. Just putting your statement in the full context.

You also need to read, I specifically said I was not commenting on the score directly to do with the PEN, but DPreview in general.

Despite what you think, I have zero against the PEN other than the fact I believe it could have been much better if they just sacrificed a bit of retro wannabe for ergonomics and features like PDAF, weather sealing, 4K.

If you're happy with it as is, good for you, sincerely, doesn't change my thoughts though, and mine shouldn't really impact you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    Yes we know, And been over this, Olympus did not get the memo you sent them to make the camera you specifically wanted.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the review and especially liked how well it did in silent shutter mode. Loved that the new Pen does not show any signs of shutter shock. I will be using silent mode alot and this is awesome to know!

Also was not suprised that there was no mention of delay in the viewfinder. In fact they praised the viewfinder quite a bit and said no signs of delay. This has also been my experience even comparing it to the EM5MKII that I had before this (also a great camera IMO). I think some of those initial reports were unsubstantiated.

I wonder if it is possible through a firmware update to allow the front dial to be re-mapped. I probably would leave it alone but some people might like to change it

7. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Wow, it really upsets you that not everyone thinks the PEN is perfect. Sorry about that.

Sent from my A0001 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    Nothing is perfect. There is no best camera for all. I really try to see what I like and dont like about all things, But I usually try and reserve judgments (and negative comments) until I have tried something myself.

I think making a judgement about something I have not tried as something akin to, lets say. saying "I hate Jazz" when in reality I have never really listened to Jazz so my opinion has no weight so I dont talk when people start talking about the intricacy's of jazz.. Thats just How I roll..

How would you like if the reviewers at DPR just looked at the front dial and said. that thing is useless and never tried it or reported on it in the review (other than to say they disliked it)? That is in effect what you are doing.

Some people are talkers and have an opinion on everything and I guess thats ok. It is the Internet. so...

Anyhow, I am ok being done with the back and forth as you said . I just want to say it is nice that this camera is doing well in most reviews including DPR. That is good for M43 :)

9. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Maybe go back to the other thread and read Amin's post again. In the meantime just PM me if you have issues, rather than start another back and forth thread.

10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    NO. IT UPSETS HIM THAT YOU ARE EVERYWHERE ON THIS FORUM SEEKING OPPORTUNITIES TO TRASH IT.

• Like Like x 6
  11. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    It was what the REVIEWER said... In my first post did I only post the cons? No, did I even comment on them? No.

This started only because I made the giant mistake of pointing out that the REVIEWER made mention of more than he just loved the dial as Catch22 indicated. Man you guys need to relax.

*I do like how Catch22 had gone back and edited most of his posts after my responses...

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    So very true. Here we go all over again, Andrew. Why start a new thread and then start up the same crap all over again? Doing your best to make the most of negativity. Wasn't the last thread enough of an embarrassing train wreck? As Amin said there, aren't we better than this???? Sheesh. Incredible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    Lets talk about the review itself :) for those who read it, what did you guys think of the actual review??

To me it sounded like the DPR guys really loved their time with the Pen F. but had a few reservations (for example its not really ideal for video work)

14. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Ok lets try this, while noise doesn't seem to be improved (no wait let me finish) that is actually a good thing as it means the added resolution is not coming at a cost.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Before receiving the PEN-F I too had reservations about the ArtFilter knob. I wasn't sure if it would be in the way of my fingers and didn't think I would use it. Now that I've had the camera for a week or so of use, the experience has shown me that the knob is not in the way of my fingers and I am enjoying the quick, easy convenience of enabling some B&W modes (while I continue to capture RAW as well).

With the camera having 5 user-configurable buttons, the fact that the creative control knob is not user-configurable sure doesn't feel like a 'problem' to me.

So much brou ha ha over the creative control knob, particularly by some who have never even used the camera... Makes it seem like the knob is such a HUGE deal.

In my experience using the camera, I don't find the knob's presence to be a big deal at all: use it when you want to use it; don't use it when you don't want to. I actually am happy to have the control instantly and easily available, rather than having to go deep-menu diving to bring up some B&W modes.

Kind of like so many other features these cameras offer that many don't use and others do use. Make use of what you want to use and don't worry about the rest.

Now that I've used the camera, my concerns about the creative control knob have been vaporized and I have come to appreciate the placement of the knob and the convenience that it offers when I want to capture (or view) in B&W modes.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Here is something I have not seen mentioned before nor do I remember seeing it browsing the manual:

But the functionality of that two-position switch lives on: by default the up key on the four-way controller acts as a 2x2 dial interface.
    Is this the same as the 2x2 switches function on the EP5 and Em1? Does it effect the dials and buttons?

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. heli-mech

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Don you literally just finished criticizing me and then you jump right back to the knob which is what started this thread going sideways :dash2::dash2::dash2::dash2:

18. Catch22nm

Catch22nm Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2015
    I missed this somehow in the reveiw, I am not sure but I am going to try to find out and report back.

And also I think Don was just replying to my earlier comment about how it grew on me, the DPR reviewer and himself, not trying to make the thread go sideways
    (I am going to refer to the front dial as "it" from now on like voldamort)
    .. Thanks for the DM, I agree

Lets push things forward :)

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    This is correct; you can see from my first sentence that I was responding to Catch22's comment about discovering (through using the camera) the merits of the creative control knob's presence.

And, I'm happy to move along with further discussion as well.

• Like Like x 3
  20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I wasn't aware of this either until reading the DPR review. I need to explore it further.

• Agree Agree x 1