DPReview compares Panasonic CDAF with Canon Hybrid AF

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Luckypenguin, Aug 16, 2012.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    No real comparison the G5 wins hands down, although I imagine the Canon lenses are PDAF so can be expected to be slower using CDAF.

Paul

2. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I think they used one of the new STM lenses from Canon, which are designed to work well with CDAF.

3. The article indicated that the lenses used on the respective cameras were the Lumix G 14-42 X and the Canon EFS 18-135mm STM. The Canon lens uses a stepping motor which is theoretically designed along the same lines as the best Micro 4/3 lenses which a lightweight internal focusing group to speed up autofocus response.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Wow. Even ignoring the finder blackout during exposure, the time-to-focus is dramatically worse on the Canon. If the Canon mirrorless is that bad, it could give the whole mirrorless market a black eye. "Oh, I tried one of those mirrorless cameras. Focus was just awful. I'm going to stick with DSLRs."

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There was a lot of doom and gloom when the EOS-M was announced along the lines of "Canon has hybrid AF, Panasonic and Olympus need to step up their game".

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yeah, who'd have though Canon would be so far behind the curve. Are they really so insular they're not aware of what the competition offers, or do they think they can just rely on their name and market presence to succeed?

I suppose both may be true to some extent.

I'm not sure referring to this example as "hybrid AF" is correct though. I was under the impression the PDAF sensors were only used for tracking motion, or C-AF. I think the video above reflects straight CDAF on the Canon. An interesting test would be to compare the two cameras with a human jogging toward the camera, and see how each camera keeps up.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Some of the Q&A about this test:

Attached Files: