1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DPR Review of EM10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Mar 18, 2014.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    As I mentioned in a thread on those forums... there's nothing exciting about the camera, as distinct from other cameras in its family... except price. Olympus is finally set to compete with enthusiast-level DSLRs.

3. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    nice review. But it seems that Oly have hard time making a good UI :)

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Their menus can do everything. The problem is you have to do most of it to make anything happen.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    All this whining about Oly menus is stoked by reviewers who don't invest the time to properly understand them. Really, once you've dialled in settings that suit your shooting style, there's very little need to get into them on a regular basis since the SCP is very functional and easy to use. I don't buy this Oly menu bias as valid criticism.

Now, the Nex menus - that's an entirely different matter! I spent 15 mins in a store and even with the help of the sales assistant it took 10 mins to find how to change ISO (it was hidden in the 'brightness' menu).

• Like Like x 5
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm sorry, but saying "the menus are fine, people just don't invest the time to properly understand them" isn't much of a defense. If it requires a large investment of time to understand it, it is a poor design… but initial set up isn't really the complaint people have.

The issue people have is with the nested menus and seemingly arbitrary way some things can be put into My Set and others can't. If you set up and then shoot in only one or two ways, the menus are fine (because really, you aren't using them), but if you change certain settings often, and you have the misfortune of often needing a feature that isn't allowed into a My Set, you will be menu diving when you want to change settings. Thats why people who love these cameras create posts that express frustration with the menus.
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=61269

7. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I give it my personal gold award as well. Agree 100% with pdk42. If you take the time to learn how to customize your E-M10, you often don't even need the menu. I'm not a newbie and I happen to think there is a lot exciting about this little camera. Thanks, drd1135, for sharing this review!

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I understand your point. But when half of those complaints come from people who don't know how to (or won't) activiate the Super Control Panel, one has to take that whining with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 2
  9. br.davidson

br.davidson New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2013
    Kent, WA
    Bryan
    I love my E-M5, but there is no defending Olympus' menu system. Yes, the Super Control Panel is nice, but it's not even on by default!

Also, "the menus are terrible, but if you spend tons of time learning them, you can set up the camera the way you want and never have to touch the terrible menus again" isn't much of a defense...

The OM-D cameras are great, but that doesn't mean they're beyond criticism. Hopefully Olympus hears it and designs a better UI on their next camera. Sensible defaults and better organization would go a long way towards that goal.

• Like Like x 2
  10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you don't participate in an on line Olympus forum (most people) it's quite possible to buy the camera and never know the Super Control Panel even exists. Lots of people only look in the manual to find out how to make it do something they want it to do. If they don't know SCP even exists, the won't look to see how to enable it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    When I started my brand new, i.e., not used, E-M10, the SCP was displayed right off the bat, unlike with my E-PL3 and E-PL5.

12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree that Olympus could improve the consistency of some menus, and I certainly agree that there are oddities about Mysets - top of the list being that the E-M5 doesn't allow them to be assigned to the mode dial (actually, it would be better if the stupid SCN & ART things could be replaced with C1/C2 presets). It's odd too that the SCP is off by default. However, I recall the menus on my old Canon gear being worse. The whole "Custom settings" area for example was driven through bizarre integer values representing the various settings.

What's great about Oly cameras is the amount of customisation and what would be much worse would be if we lost that in some dumbing down exercise to satisfy "TLDR" reviewers (TLDR = Too Long, Didn't Read").

13. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Yeah, forget focus peaking, what I really want in a firmware update is the ability to assign mysets to mode dial positions like the E-M1 and a 2x2 mode toggle. And TAv mode. And a pony.

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Ah - the 2x2 toggle. I have an E-P5 which has such a beast, but it's not that useful TBH since the range of things you can assign to the alternative lever position is quite limited. In fact, it needs the ability to do more customisation (cue the complaint about menu complexity!)

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Really? Many folks on this forum have been suggesting that for years. If so, hallelujah.

16. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Been waiting for DPReview and the Imaging Resource to review this camera. I'm going to upgrade my body soon and for a while I've been thinking the E-M10 is a better buy for my needs than the E-M5, or the EM1.

17. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I mostly love my E-M5. But I invested time getting comfortable with the menus. They are not very transparent. All cameras have quirks that some of us will not like. The E-M5 certainly has some ergonomic quirks that I wish were different. Some of that's me and some is the camera interface. If someone isn't willing to spend some time getting to know the camera it could be quite a challenge. One could argue that they shouldn't have a camera like this but, that's not realistic. I just saw a question on a forum from a person who had just purchased a 7D, had no clue about the exposure triangle. A friend of my wife's showed up here with a nice new 60D, absolutely had no clue how to even use basic functions. Folks like that are never going to get through the Olympus menu system.

18. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil

It would be a different story if the paper manual gave any useful information whatsoever, haha. I know those days are behind us.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You didn't invest the time to properly understand it....:wink::tongue::biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    BTW, did anyone notice the dig they gave the EP5 at the end? They went out of their way to point out that unlike the EP5, the EM10 did not suffer from shutter shock and that as a result "the image quality would more consistently be available." Wonder how they managed to minimize its effect with the new model.