1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

DPR preview on the Nikon N-1

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by WT21, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The bits DPR are writing up certainly argue that:

a) there could be a place for this camera, and
    b) it's still not likely for me (personally), but perhaps others???

See Nikon 1 System First Impressions: Digital Photography Review

But some selected text:
    "This being 2011, the sensor also has serious video capabilities. It's capable of recording Full HD movies (1920 x 1080 resolution) at 60i or 30p, and full-resolution stills can be captured at a press of the shutter button without interrupting recording. This is the first camera we can think of that gives the user the choice of how the video output is packaged (60i and 30p are essentially the same data presented differently), depending on whether you want to just view the footage or edit it. The phase-detection AF system means the cameras can also track a moving subject during video shooting. All-in-all the 1 system represents an impressive convergance of stills and video capabilities into a single camera."

and

"This targeting, plus the sensor's high speed capabilities, results in a very different look to the camera's interface, exemplified by its mode dial. Gone are the scene and PASM modes familiar to SLR users (although these can still be selected through the menu), replaced by four positions which represent different applications of high speed stills and movie recording. The 'Motion Snapshot' mode combines a slow-motion movie with a simultaneously-recorded still image, while the 'Smart Photo Selector' mode takes 20 full-resolution images from a single shutter-button press (including some captured before the button is fully depressed), then analyses them,saving what it judges to be the best five (even recommending the very best of the bunch). There's just a single position to cover all aspects of conventional stills shooting, plus one more for movies. "

New paradigms. It will be interesting to follow. This might be better for video for some folks. The inherent deeper DOF means a bit easier on the focus for video.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: You GF3 users are driving a Vespa!

SlideforAndy.

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I'm not impressed, no matter how you dress up a pig, it's still a pig!!!

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Actually, it seems to be a supersonic spy plane! :biggrin:

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I wonder if it will get as hot as the SR71 did?

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And leak as much fuel!

8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    OMG/ hyper-ventilate ...oh hai! It's the CoolPix SR-71!

The @#$# Jack Bauer/ Chuck Norris/ Jean Claude Van Damme of all cameras. Now in assorted flavors.

9. Maybe you'll need to heat it up before all the gaps and seals line up.

10. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I was wondering when Nikon and Canon would come up with their own mirrorless cameras. Actually, I've been waiting several years for Canon to come up with an even better non-slr alternative than the G series.

I couldn't wait anymore and cracked for the Olympus EP-3.

This Nikon, while interesting, makes me happy about my current choice. I just wonder if I'll feel the same when Canon comes up with their solution. I think I have a favorable bias towards Canon.

:43: :2thumbs:

11. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Nikon..
    What were you thinking?
    Who needs a 60 fps speed? I am having problem with too many photos as it is.
    What I want is compact camera with compact lens system that can deliver stunning image quality.
    Not just less noise, but respectable control over field of depth and all.
    What the heck am I suppose to do with 2.7 crop factor sensor?
    2.0 crop factor was small enough.

12. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I love my Vespa.... :smile:

It's a shame their marketing slides didn't put vehicles against other mirrorless systems -- would love to see what a more complete "marketing" slide would look like :rofl:

I wonder what vehicle I should assign to my G3.
    This marketing slide and all the recent talk of GAS in other threads here tempts me to get the Pen EP-3 to see what vehicle needs to be assigned to that little beauty :tongue:

If I were to ever leave M43 (very unlikely) I'd go for mirrorless APS-C over these Nikons.

13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

Maybe my E-P3 is a Fiat 500?

14. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    :rofl: yeah, and my G3 is a Fiat UNO :rofl:

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    True words have seldom been spoken...

16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    SR71 was eventually discontinued in active service...

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Wow ... very interesting. While I haven't any interest in video ... this is still cool.