DPR Panasonic GH5II review

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For us video guys this pricing is very good (basically just update the Gh5 to be as good for stills as the G9 and added the good wifi.

Real Name
Mike Peters
So if you're a stills shooter, the G9 is still the better choice?

I'm mainly a stills guy, and the G9 is the best camera I've ever used in over 40 years. I had the original GH5 bodies, and they were fine, but the whole layout and user interface of the G9 is really great, especially the LCD screen on top so you can see everything at a glance. Plus the price differential is significant, with the G9 being 2/3 the price. If you don't need the added video stuff, save some bucks and get 3 for the price of two!

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Going by what G9 owners who have bought the GH5M2 have written, the GH5M2 produces better images.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Going by what G9 owners who have bought the GH5M2 have written, the GH5M2 produces better images.
I think DPR gave the edge to the GH5II as well, but is it worth $1500 to gain a marginal improvement that likely wouldn't even be noticeable in casual viewing, especially with next-gen sensors right around the corner? Panasonic has positioned this camera to appeal to video shooters who want a video monster but can't (or won't) swing the additional $1000 for the GH6.

Real Name
Mike Peters

From my experience the G9 was an incremental step up from the GH5, so I would imagine that there might be a slight increase in quality, mainly with better coatings on the AA filter. With judicious raw processing that advantage might be negligible. On the DP Review comparison photo, they say the differences might be down to the better lens that they shoot the test chart with. But to my eye, the G9 & GH5m2 seem more similar with a very slight nod in the GH5m2 favor, and the GH5 & G95 also seem similar and a step down in IQ. However in real world shooting I cannot imagine that you'd be able to tell the difference. Lenses are the more important factor.

That said, I'll be sticking with the G9 until there's a clearly visible increase in image quality, perhaps with the GH6 and/or a G10. I'd rather have a small increase in resolution, 24-30 mp would be just right, and a large increase in high iso performance. However I still prefer the viewfinder and the LCD top screen on the G9.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
From my experience the G9 was an incremental step up from the GH5, so I would imagine that there might be a slight increase in quality, mainly with better coatings on the AA filter. With judicious raw processing that advantage might be negligible. On the DP Review comparison photo, they say the differences might be down to the better lens that they shoot the test chart with. But to my eye, the G9 & GH5m2 seem more similar with a very slight nod in the GH5m2 favor, and the GH5 & G95 also seem similar and a step down in IQ. However in real world shooting I cannot imagine that you'd be able to tell the difference. Lenses are the more important factor.

That said, I'll be sticking with the G9 until there's a clearly visible increase in image quality, perhaps with the GH6 and/or a G10. I'd rather have a small increase in resolution, 24-30 mp would be just right, and a large increase in high iso performance. However I still prefer the viewfinder and the LCD top screen on the G9.
It's amazing how similarly we think. Now, how can I get some of that talent to rub off on me?

My only caveat is focusing. I know that doesn't affect the kind of shooting you do, the G9 is probably dead perfect for you in that sense.

Real Name
Mike Peters
It's amazing how similarly we think. Now, how can I get some of that talent to rub off on me?

My only caveat is focusing. I know that doesn't affect the kind of shooting you do, the G9 is probably dead perfect for you in that sense.
You'll need to look elsewhere for talent, I don't think I have any. I just shoot more, and fail more, and then bury the very many duds.

The G9 is close to perfect for focussing, but usually if I'm in the wrong mode or have chosen the wrong pattern, it will focus on something other than what I want. I switch between face/person and 225 area, depending on the situation. Same for AF-S and AF-C. What I'm discovering is that the AF is much more accurate shooting at open aperture rather than stopped down. It seems to respond quicker and also with a bit more accuracy with less depth of field to work with.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
You'll need to look elsewhere for talent, I don't think I have any. I just shoot more, and fail more, and then bury the very many duds.

The G9 is close to perfect for focussing, but usually if I'm in the wrong mode or have chosen the wrong pattern, it will focus on something other than what I want. I switch between face/person and 225 area, depending on the situation. Same for AF-S and AF-C. What I'm discovering is that the AF is much more accurate shooting at open aperture rather than stopped down. It seems to respond quicker and also with a bit more accuracy with less depth of field to work with.
Since it's contrast base that makes sense. low light = low contrast. Of course any autofocus system is light dependent. In my cave post I can't tell you how many times the autofocus light came on. It reminded me of my old Maxxums with the red flashing light on the strobe!

Bagrphotography

Mu-43 Veteran
Sadly, the G10 is not even close to the image quality. I wonder what Panasonic will do with the naming then. Perhaps carry on with the 'Mk X' numbering?

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
What I'm discovering is that the AF is much more accurate shooting at open aperture rather than stopped down. It seems to respond quicker and also with a bit more accuracy with less depth of field to work with.
I find that with the GX8 + P30mm when working with insects, Mike. Interesting you should think that, too.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Sadly, the G10 is not even close to the image quality. I wonder what Panasonic will do with the naming then. Perhaps carry on with the 'Mk X' numbering?
There's been an entire different discussion about Panny's naming convention. If they even do release a G9 successor, will it be the G10, The G9MkII, The G11, the GeeWhiz, or what?

Real Name
Keith
There's been an entire different discussion about Panny's naming convention. If they even do release a G9 successor, will it be the G10, The G9MkII, The G11, the GeeWhiz, or what?

They released a G10 in 2010 as a lower end model of the G1. They certainly could re-use the name, but I could see it causing confusion in the search engines / used market / etc.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom