DPR NEX-3/5 Full review

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
  2. igi

igi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    Oh no...

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Wow! 63%! That's pretty dismal for DPReview ratings. I think this line says it all:

"Strictly for users who want only to point and shoot."

It matches the user experience people have been reporting on since these cameras were released. I've been of the same opinion that Sony completely missed the point of mirrorless cameras. Not only that, but this system also misses the point of P&S cameras - portability and usability. The NEX is neither despite the small body. No P&S photog will bother to take their small camera with the giant lens when they can simply pick up one of dozens of equally capable pocketable P&S models. As such I'm not sure what their intended market is other than Sony loyalists.

Too bad, because I was looking for an actual competitor to the m4/3 format so we can push innovation and control pricing in the segment. Both Samsung and Sony fell short of being that competitor, which in the end speaks volumes to the innovation that Panasonic and Olympus released. Hopefully we'll see something from Canon or Nikon at some point in the next few years. I think as Panasonic and Olympus continue to grab market share and build reputation, the two giants won't have a choice but to respond.
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm not so sure about 'giant lenses'... are the lenses much bigger than the m4/3rds kit lenses? or is the body so tiny it makes the lenses look bigger?

I should take a look at the review - perhaps there are side by side comparison shots?

Thanks for the pointer.

5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Probably some of both. I don't think the NEX lenses are much larger, if at all, over similar m4/3 lenses, but when attached to the camera it sure amplifies the size difference. Moreover, no interchangeable lens camera will ever be as portable as a P&S compact, so that goes to my point (excuse the pun) - it's a camera that's aimed at the P&S crowd, but also one that P&S shooters would be reluctant to actually take with them in lieu of something more portable. So to me it's left in limbo.

Still, sales numbers will tell the final chapter in this story. I could be completely wrong, but as a former (and still occasional) P&S shooter this camera would end up staying at home. IQ I think is much less of a determinant of camera system success nowadays over other factors because IQ, in general, is good enough across the board to not make it a differentiator any longer for the public at large. The differences in IQ between APS-C sensors and 4/3 sensors I think have been blown out of proportion, and only matter to a small percentage of enthusiasts like those of us who frequent these forums.