DPR is on fire right now

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Nov 9, 2017.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So much whinging about the G9 and P200.

I'll bet maybe only 10% of the people complaining about the pricing would even buy those items even if they were 1/3 cheaper.

Really a lot of noise and heat, with little substance.

Some people even saying "that's it, I'm going full frame" -- really? Did you expect a 200/1.8 the size of a kit lens for $899? Really?? Sheesh

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The whinging isn't only at DPR. By my count there are at least 8 threads going here discussion the G9 and 200 2.8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    True, but we are gentlefolk having rational discussions. They are barbarians spoiling for a fight.:rolleyes-38:

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Wow Wow x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, but the activity on those threads seems to have died back a bit.

5. I stopped reading DPR years ago, bunch of pathetic little boys, who have nothing else to do but throw a fit.

Just imagine if they were equally as critical of their snapshot as they are of any of the new gear.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    DPR has a lot of framist ideologues and trolls anyways. They like to harass the Micro Four Thirds forum over there instead of actually taking photos with their all superior sized sensors.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It's easier to troll online forums than take photos.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think that is true. A couple of "I have Fuji, but was thinking of m43, now I'm not!" --- ah year, I doubt you ever were.

That's one of the issues there. Once you sign up for DPR, you can go to any forum. Not that that's a bad thing in and of itself, but anyone can drop in from a different forum and taunt anytime they want.

9. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    I'll say this plainly as I can: DPR has a bunch of Framist/Equivalence Nazis. The same ones that can't stand having their stupid drivel being turned on them the moment you point out that a Sigma 18-35 on a Speedbooster is close to a 24-70 f/2.5. Their stupid justifications will claim that equivalence makes any lens on a smaller format inferior because total light and we'll fudge the numbers and claim that's a f/3.5 anyways. Then you bring up medium format and they'll claim that they're also inferior because equivalence.

Then you post a photo and they'll dodge every point they've made just to make some stupid statement like oh it wasn't the high ISO performance I was talking about in your photo but your sensor renders images in an inferior way that isn't full.

The thing is they're like Nazis in another way: They invade other forums just to attack others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    What's a Framist?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    Ideologues obsessed about sensor size above all else. But only of the digital 135 kind.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    Way cool!

Cheers, Jock

13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The best word to describe them that I have heard is Equivalentologists.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    That's what was the most surprising to me.
    I can understand that some people absolutely want 24x36 sensors. They despise everyone that doesn't think like them, but OK, that's internet.
    But reading the arguments of the same people about why MF is also inferior to 24x36 is kind of fun.
    Or other things like "if you like m43, why not taking 1" sensor cameras, there's not much of a difference between 1" and m43". (but 24x36 is so much superior to APS).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    Let them fight their holywars, it doesn't change anything anyway :).
    And this is really easy to shoot crap photos with a FF camera, or any other camera for that matter :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2015
    Troy, NY
    Jock Elliott
    I rather like this: Sean Reid's take is that each camera type -- including small sensor cameras -- has its own look, and that once you accept that a photograph doesn't have to look a certain way, there is no hierarchy of sensor sizes or camera types.

Cheers, Jock

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    As I understand it M 43 IS is second to none. I have read that the IS of is Canon is better than Sony. I am not Nikon liberate. I know Canon and M-43. Canon IS is not as good as the best M-43 IS. Canon ISO in full frame is superior to M-43 . The middle of the road C-APS is somewhere in the middle. I keep playing around with is but it continues to be wanting. The lack of really good IS is the issue for this kind of camera. They make great sunny day friends. If lighting is an issue I go for my Oly. EM-1-II

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There's one poster there at the moment (Advent1Sam) who overnight has gone from being a GH5 fanboy (even claiming its noise performance not only comprehensively beat the E-M1ii, but rivaled the Nikon D4) to tiresome convert to the A7riii plus Sony zoom lenses (yes and the camera isn't even shipping yet). He's endlessly writing equivalence articles purely in an effort to dis m44 and tell anyone who'll listen as to why he's right. The irony of his position given his previous GH5 exuberance seems to escape him. I don't recall him ever posting any photos though.

In general DPR's forums are a nasty and poisonous place to be. Even innocuous comments get rude and ad hominem responses. There are some great posters there with worthwhile contributions to make, but there is too little common courtesy by too many to make it worth the bother.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ibd

ibd Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    Having posted in both forums (not comment sections, though), I can confirm that mu-43.com is very welcoming to exchanging photos, while DPR is very welcoming to exchanging numbers. You can do the other way round, but you won't be as effective... :wink:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    :) nice one!

I call them the "equivalence brigade", or "equivalencers". I am attacked often <ROFL>.

Kind regards, Wim