1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DP review

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by keel, May 18, 2010.

1. keel

keel Mu-43 Rookie

May 11, 2010
    Perth Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Keel,
    There seems to be many good thing said around here.
    Shooter

3. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    Based in what I have seen around (since my pl1istill didn't arrive), it was a very fair review. Looking forward to put my hands in the camera.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    All good fun, there are some great features of the E-PL1 - it's a fantastic value entry point to m4/3rds... I really like the AF selection using the magnify button.

Cheers

Brian

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the camera is praised but is given a 69% ranking, 3% below the nikon d3000 `s score of 72%

throughout the review the olympus bested the nikon and in the all important category of image quality the epL1 blew the d3000 out of the water , the samples make the nikon look like a point and shoot by comparison

im glad dp said the truth about what the olympus had too offer , but confused as to why its ranked lower than the nikon, a camera it bested in almost every way

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I just read it and don't agree with a number their conclusions. I change the aperture all the time, for example, and find the controls on this camera much easier for me to use, as opposed to their point of view that this camera probably appeals to someone who doesn't change the aperture often. But there's no point in nitpicking now is there?:wink:

I love my E-PL1 and prefer it to my E-P2, but as I've written elsewhere - I use the EVF and used it on both cameras. From a strictly aesthetic standpoint, the E-P1 and E-P2 are much more attractively designed cameras when it comes to an aesthetic or industrial design point of view, but I can hold and carry my E-PL1 much more easily and find the controls easier to use properly and quickly...perhaps that is in part because I am female and though I don't have small hands, they're not exactly carpenter's hands. So yes, if I were going to award any Olympus camera an award on being most attractive, it would not go to the ugly duckling E-PL1, but we know what happens to ugly ducklings. And of course, I am anything but prejudiced.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I had read it yesterday and I couldn't conclude some of the things they were saying either.
    As examples, when you look at the photo comparisons, I thought the e-pl1 was way better than the d3000, but they said "there's no difference" (on the raw photos). The story was similar with some of the other camera comparisons, where I could clearly see a difference they said "there's no difference"...

*shrugs*

• Like Like x 2
  8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I've seen a lot of good images on this forum from that camera.....
    Nuff said....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Fair review ...

and when I look at my images even with the kit lens and jpeg too I smile.:smile:
    No need to defend it against the Posher Pens or dare I say the NEX :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I thought the review itself was excellent. I never pay much attention to "scores" because I've noticed that within the industry in general there seems to be an unwritten rule that no matter how good an Olympus camera may be it shall not outscore Nikon or Canon! :biggrin:

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Basically, every MFT camera gets a 69% from DPR. It's the new "Recommended (Just)" equivalent, for those familiar with DPR. They seem to have a fear of giving competing similar cameras slightly different marks. What did the Samsung NX10 get? Oh yeah, 69%.

Spoiler: the GF2 is going to get a 69% rating. You heard it here first :biggrin:.

• Like Like x 4
  12. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I agree the final score is meaningless ; from what I get of their twisted explanations of the weighting system, the only reason the D3K was ranked above the E-PL1 is because they thought it about twice as good in handling and ergonomics, and this category has basically the same weight as image quality for interchangeable lens cameras.

But, and this is a very big BUT, the sheer weight and size of the camera isn't part of the equation. Which is ludicrous when comparing a hefty DSLR to a µ4:3 camera, because in the mind of users, a µ4:3 is certainly more ergonomic than any DSLR *because* of the dwarfed size, even if it pushes some controls to a few menus instead of having dedicated knobs.

To add insult to injury, DPR conveniently forgot to take into account in the ergonomy category the lack of depth of field preview, the lack of live preview, and a couple of other things that are written in the article body and that are without contest completely ergonomy related when it comes to picture making (for instance, back screen too small and too low res to assert proper focus - special thumb up on this one, guys).

I like DPR thorough articles. But their ranking system is a joke tailored at marketing executives of camera companies to keep the new test models flowing into their greedy hands. Obviously those guys don't take time to read all and are happy with a powerpoint chart, so why not?

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Personally, I've found the inconsistency of their reviews, over the years, quite frustrating. What's listed as bad in one product, doesn't get a mention in another etc. The new format was suposed to have addressed some of those issues, but it still has a way to go.

They really do need to put the micro format cameras into another category for a start, as you just can't compare the ergonomic features with DSLRs. Unfortunately, they are still comparing apples with oranges. I have no issue if they compare say image quality, and only image quality, with DSLRs, as that is a reasonable reference point in the bigger scheme of things, but as for the rest, it doesn't compute.

Cheers

Ray

14. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I agree with Brian on his points + its great for legacy MF lenses

If I post E-PL1 images in forums people study those images in my Smugmug .. the Interest in the E-PL1 is so high !

15. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    they should just do the testing, and reserve the cons and pros that they do in the end. The scoring system is somewhat of a joke i think, especially if you can't compare it with other cameras. they should just improve what they have and not try to implement a new system with its new quirks.

16. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I like that dpreview post the data (sample images etc)... their interpretation is always going to be more open to criticism. I like what BB posted above - this is why forums where people can post their personal opinion and experience are so important to me.

The dpreview interpretation reads like a predictive marketing report... it makes me wonder, who is it written for? I do see a lot of prognosticators on the forums over there... maybe it's for industry pundits, by industry pundits?

As I said, all good fun...

Cheers

Brian

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If I'd ever listened to any of their reviews, I'd never have bought anything Olympus. As it turns out, I've loved and had great success with every Olympus camera that I've owned, or still own (I really need to get my E1 fully serviced). I've just ordered an E-PL1 that my wife can take to Bali, as our LX2 has bitten the dust and the price difference between an LX3 and E-PL1 wasn't worth sniffing about. When I looked at it, the E-PL1 was a slightly larger LX3, but infinitely better in just about every other respect. I'd have been beaten senseless if I'd come home with a D3000 saying here's your travel camera. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I read many dpreview's reviews before buying my cameras...and never listened to them:rofl:
    I am very happy with my cameras and came to the conclusion that if we trust dpreview's reviews for buying cameras we should all have Canon or Nikons ecc.

Their way of evaluating is very objectionable in true life work and every day usage.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    As a Pentax user for several years I say (if you've only now just figured this out!), welcome to the club!

20. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Oh, I'm well aware that Pentax is lumped into the second class category along with Olympus, despite the fact that they, too, produce some damn fine cameras. I hope rumours that they are considering entering the mirrorless camera market are true but I just wish that they would join :43:. What a wealth of experience, pedigree and inovation that would bring to the party! :smile: