DP review

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Leesound, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Leesound

Leesound Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    London
    Am I alone in wondering where the disparate tone comes from, in this usually informative site? Comparatively to the lovely chaps here, I find it childish and basically negative?! In my industry (film + TV) people generally who do "do" and people who don't moan lol, and I find that site (aside from it's great review system) on the forums and general community to offer little in the way of help to starters.
    Hey maybe wrong ! Work with a lot of guys who make the good stuff we watch at cinemas and TV daily, and never see that attitude - just congregates over there a bit!

• Like Like x 1
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

ha ha ha

Somebody would have to pay me a significant amount of money to log in over there. I used to years ago but no more. Some great guys like Ray Sachs (saks?) are doing what they can to save the place just by lending their mature professional discourse and knowledge. My hat is off to them. I haven't the patience.:tongue:

The site should make anybody under 30 put down a substantial bond to contribute. To be forfeited upon more than two personal attacks or four or five callous remarks. :biggrin:

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I like this Micro 4/3 forum much better, there are just too many arguments on dpreview m43 about Sony and such. But most of what I know about photo I learned from Canon SLR forums there, or links people posted. Of course, like with a lot of sites, my mental filters were on, but there was a lot of useful content too. Haven't visited it for awhile though, things may have changed.

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    It is great for reviews and tests, but very negative overall(unlike here)

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I agree. I visit both, but people are RIDICULOUSLY defensive about their equipment over there. Heaven forbid you say something semi-positive about NEX.

It's a real shame too, because there's a lot of knowledge buried among the trolls and 10 year-olds on that forum. A lot of people who've been into m43 since day-1, or have experience with 4/3 before that, and have a lot to offer.

6. nueces snapper

Well they need to get over here where they belong. :biggrin:

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    They just have a few trolls that really bring the whole forum quality down a bit, IMO. Part of it is due to the multiple forum nature over there (e.g. a Sony troll just drops by the m43 forum to muck things up).

The problem really is that there is very little moderation over there.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have similar feelings for 43rumors. I like the news, but jeez it's like everyone is sniping or posturing for world domination. My theory is that happens on any photography site where folks don't actually post images. Everyone seems to forget what cameras are for.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    This m43 forum is definately much nicer. DP review forums are very mean, folks over there are like brand slaves, so defensive of their own gear that it is often hard to get correct answers.
    Also, I really like the iphone app!

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    agreed:bravo-009:

I find people always defend/promote what they own because they are so afraid they could have made the wrong decision. I think Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc all make great cameras and if you enjoy what you have you made the right decision. I find you are really splitting hairs when it comes to most of the arguments on modern day cameras and their lenses. I really dig the fact that so many people on this forum showcase their photography:smile:

• Like Like x 3
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Hey, you forgot to mention Pentax!!!:mad:

:)rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This is the issue completely. You really have to work at it to get even a couple of days ban over there. I've seen foul language, personal attacks, and repeated trolling on the same topic over and over, yet the mods rarely (if ever) do anything about it, so the trolls are empowered to carry on.

At the moment, there really aren't too many places like mu-43.com!

13. nueces snapper

Don't know why they don't moderate over there. They are obviously making money. :confused:

14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just what exactly is a troll?

Occasionally if I perform a google search on a item it takes me to the DP review site, but it's got me confounded in how to get around.

15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    A troll is a person that starts arguments just to be an ass and drd Pentax sucks:wink:

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    very well played, sir!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think you actually get more people visiting and posting when you leave things totally unmoderated. The lack of moderation helps them make more money.

18. I am an infrequent visitor to the dpreview forums so I don't see a lot of the trolling, etc firsthand, but by the same token what I have seen has so far turned me off ever posting over there. I had wondered though with dpreview being a commercial site, whether they figure they actually get more traffic from allowing carte blanche in the forums compared to the number of people who leave/avoid the forum for the same reason.

19. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Feels like an adolescent car forum over there. Everyone is couch racing and flexing magazine stats in anonymity. Takes awhile to identify credible sources.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    troll.

:grouphug::grouphug: