Dowtown NYC

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by azngigolo64, Mar 25, 2012.

1. azngigolo64

azngigolo64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Newbie here. Just playing with my G3 and hexanon 28mm 3.5

Was wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to improve these photos, both in taking the photo and in the post-processing. thanks.

<a href="" title="P1030372 PP by azngigolo64, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="769" alt="P1030372 PP"></a>

<a href="" title="P1030372-2 by azngigolo64, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="769" alt="P1030372-2"></a>

<a href="" title="P1030390 by azngigolo64, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="769" alt="P1030390"></a>

<a href="" title="P1030360 by azngigolo64, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="769" alt="P1030360"></a>

<a href="" title="P1030383 by azngigolo64, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="941" alt="P1030383"></a>
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Very nice pics, and the processing looks good. #3 looks good in b&w and the colour work in #4 is excellent. I would be inclined to try to lift the shadow detail in #2, and probably try it in b&w as well. #4 looks great but I think it needs a slight clockwise rotation.
  3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    * I like both composition and choice of B+W for image #3
    * Love the colour treatment in #4

* Shot #1 would have perhaps been more 'complete' if you had managed to get more of the boat/ship in the frame. To me it looks like it has been chopped off rather than intentionally composed that way for effect.
  4. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
  5. azngigolo64

azngigolo64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys. For picture #1, the lens wasn't wide enough. I will bring a wider lens next time or take multiple shots and stitch the photo together.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I'm a student of the selected works of Post-impressionists painters such as Henri Marie Raymond de Toulouse-Lautrec-Monfa, Paul Cézanne, Vincent Willem van Gogh, & Eugène Henri Paul Gauguin.

As one can tell by the most recent photos that I posted, like my artwork, I like color that pops, grabs the observer, and leaves a lasting... uhm, impression.

#1 I would make it about the magnificence of the sky, reduce the buildings to just dark facades and outlines, and crop just above the horizontal beam on the sailboat so as to remove anything that can detract from the focus on the color of the sky.

#3 is about the massiveness of the building. Crop as just below the feet of the man in the center. Increase the contrast so that the word "P I E R" becomes the central focal point as all other objects are just there to support the existence of the white letters.

#5 My favorite of the group. It has potential as a juxtaposition of an old world remnant in the modern setting that is the city. Reshoot the shack against the background of the modern structures around it and give it lots of breathing room and without people around then jack up the saturation and contrast so that the red on the decaying wood draws and holds your attention and never lets it go. When you gasp from the red on the old wood, you retreat to the serenity of the modern structures.