1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Downtown Grand Rapids - Art Prize

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by KBeezie, Sep 26, 2012.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    New ones from today.

Until October 7th there's the Art Prize event thru most of downtown Grand Rapids. Over 1,500 artistic entries have been set up and displayed around the downtown area. This of course attracts street Performers. (more information regarding Art Prize here: ArtPrize - An open art contest based in Grand Rapids Michigan, the world's largest Art Prize. )

All shot with an Olympus Pen E-P3, just with different lens.

Cyril Jamming
    [​IMG]

Pictured above is Cyril Casapao, a local GVSU (Grand Valley State University) Student originally from Yonkers, New York. Wishes Grand Rapids were busy like this year around so can just make some money doing what he loves.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

Ghost Jogger
    IRfoot_800.

Another one that was concentrated on Cyril, but happened to catch the right, then left, then right foot of a jogger running past in this infrared exposure of 2 seconds.

Olympus M.Zuiko 17/2.8 + R72 Filter

Caged Heart
    heart_800.

An Art Prize entry by Zan Knecht called "Caged Heart", an interactive piece where you write down any poor feelings or strife you want to get rid of and insert it in the heart, which will not be read, but rather it's content burned once the heart is full.

Olympus M.Zuiko 17/2.8 + R72 Filter

Peeper
    peeper_800.

Saw this one cyclist trying his best to read all the messages thru the wire, he spent about a good 5 minutes or so looking up and down at most of the hand written notes, which would contain any hard feelings or strife that the authors would like to let go of. Silly considering the the piece is intended not to have the messages read, but there's always those of us where curiosity gets the better part of us.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

Have You Seen Me?
    SeenMe_800.

The last few days that I have been visiting downtown Grand Rapids, I noticed that there's been a common message in a lot of different places, simply "Have You Seen Me?", especially on the large number of red balloons that people either had or were found fighting the tide in the river or escaping the grasp of the Amway Grand.

The balloons were being given out by these volunteers. Their connection to the message is another Art Prize entry called "The Child" by Johnny Clauson. The entry is a portrait of Leslie King at the age of 13, by the age of 15 she had been sold to pimps in western michigan, the exhibit intends to bring about awareness of modern slavery and sexual exploitation that occurs even in our own backyard.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

ReCycle
    recycle_800.

ReCycle by John Pung, simply put this was one of the more eye-catching welded sculptures. The entry was made by well... recycling any existing peices of metal he could find, such as sprinkler pipes.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

Torn
    crosswalk_800.

As I stood at the corner of Monroe Ave and Monroe Center, I observed some of the people at they made there way across to one of the many bank buildings that surrounded us. This one caught my eye as she wore what appeared to be a nice sweater but with tears thru it, now days we assume this was intentional as per hipster fashion.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

Tourism
    tourism_800.

As I made my way down to Michigan Street, I noticed across Monroe at the Amway Grand entrance what appeared to be out of town tourist alternating at getting their picture taken in front of the entrance.

If there's one thing Grand Rapids (and Michigan in general) needs is more tourism and cash flow from outside.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

Cyclist
    bike_800.

At the corner of Monroe and Michigan Street. Prior to this shot there was not only this man on the bike with a bit of a rough look, but also a woman in what appeared to be pretty pricey jogging gear, a run down looking beggar and what appeared to be a student (there are at least 3 campuses downtown, not including the art schools). Serves me right for having my camera put away for just one moment...

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

Devos Place
    devosfamily_800.

Heading down Michigan Street towards the bridge before it becomes Bridge Street I noticed a large family heading my way from the parking garage of Devos Place. I can only assume they have decided to come see all the Art Prize entries as it was a nice cool, but not too cold evening with fair weather.

I got to thinking, we've been having a lot of girls lately in the last couple years as I've noticed this trend just about everywhere I've gone lately, just seems kind of rare to see as many boys under 6 around here lately, especially out and about.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

Michigan Street
    MichSt_800.

Viewing off to the west back towards downtown is Michigan Street as I'm standing on the bridge that crosses the Grand River. Always a fun drive up that hill, most of the medical facilities are easily accessed from this street, behind the Helen Devos Children's Hospital would be Spectrum Health where my eldest son Clark was born by emergency C-Section at 1lb 13oz. At the time of his birth the Children's Hospital you see now did not exist (~ 2007).

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

The Frog Boy
    TheFrogBoy_800.

As I headed back towards the bus stop near the Gerald R Ford presidential museum, I took a walk thru Ah-Nab-Awen park as it was getting dark. One of the lit up art exhibit here was "Get Your Freak On" by Pamela Troyer.

I snapped this picture of this kid getting his picture taken. I would not have gotten this angle a few minutes earlier, as there were rows of parents doing the same.

SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4

From there I grabbed my ride home.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow - a lot of great shots here! I really appreciate that you took time to add descriptions, really great to learn about the area. The IR shots are interesting - I'd love to see more. I've been thinking about trying that filter on my E-P3. :2thumbs:

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Cool shots, and I agree with Bob it really added a dimension by you talking to folks and getting more information about the subjects and their backstories.

4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Under the blue footbridge is scultures of horses running thru the river. Shot this before I went up where you saw the guitarist.

Sculpture piece called "Horses in the River" by John Longcore.

Shot with a 720nm infrared filter at a 10 second exposure, ISO 800 with the Olympus Pen E-P3 on a monopod and the 17/2.8 lens.

Two different post-processing done, one cropped and a tad 'smoother' and second one left uncropped and a bit more sureal (in my opinion).

Click images for larger version.

horses1_800.

horses2_800.

• Like Like x 1