1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Downsizing

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by jamgam, Dec 28, 2013.

1. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    Hello Folks

New guy from Atlanta, GA and in the process of "downsizing". Been discovering lately that as a hobbyist I've been grabbing my EOS-M more often than not and leaving the "big/heavy" bodies and lenses collecting dust. I like the images from the EOS-M but don't like how bland some of the features are so I've decided to unload the some gear and grab myself a nice mirrorless body and a couple of lenses and see how that goes for me. Leaning towards the OMD-EM1 as I do have a 1 year old that is getting mobile and I love to take pictures of her new tricks :biggrin: I've played with the EM1 in the store and to say that the focus speed puts my EOS-M to shame is an understatement. Anyways, still doing research but would like to pick something up before a trip right after new years to Pasadena, CA (War Eagle)

Nice place here, lots of good info

jamgam

• Like Like x 3
  2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Welcome! The EM1 is a great choice!

• Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    the EM1 is larger than the EOS-M. If you don't need all the features of the EM1, you can get a similar performing sensor in smaller body (e.g. olympus EPM2 or EPL5). Or theres is the panasonic GM1, which is smaller still. Just comes down to what sort of controls and features you want.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you use lenses on your camera the EM1 is smaller. It will also be smaller than the other bigger equipment the OP has been leaving at home.

Fred

5. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    Ya, I'm ok with the size of it. Was planning on camera and like 2 lenses in general when I go places. Already carry a small bag typically anyways just didn't want to lug big DSLR equipment

Was thinking about getting the 17 and 45 1.8 to go with it to start out? I'd probably add more later but those should cover a good range if I move my feet some. I've found I like the EOS-M with the 22 and my nifty fifty so this should be about the same

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard, Jamie!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Wellcome aboard on the m4/3 truck.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Welcome aboard. To me, the only question is whether you need all of the features/cost of the OM-D E-M1. You could save about $500-700 with either the Olympus OM-D E-M5 or the Panasonic GX7, and they might be every bit as good for you.

If you are set on primes, and want two of them, probably the 17mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 are as good a tandem as any.

For me, I preferred to have 3 primes, and something wider than the 17mm, so I went with the Panasonic 14mm and 25mm, and the Sigma 60mm f2.8 as my 3 main primes. You might well want to consider the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens instead of the Olympus 17mm f1.8 as it can be gotten for well under $200, and it's the smallest, lightest lens in the system (other than the body cap).

9. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    14, 25, 45, 75 is a good combo :)

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Yes, but it's pretty darn expensive. If money is no object, get the 12mm instead of the 14mm, for only another $500 or so. Getting the Sigma 60mm instead of the 45mm and 75mm costs about $800 less. You give up 1.3 f-stops, but nothing in terms of optical quality.

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I like walking around with the 17/45 combo. It's a relatively lightweight combo and all fits in a small camera bag. But yes, sometimes 17mm isn't quite wide enough. You pick up something later on, if you miss the wide angle.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome! Take a look at the E-P5, it's pretty much ignored but an excellent camera and much less expensive. The GX-7 is also a fine choice.

13. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome! I too live in Atlanta and got into M4/3 with the E-M5. Love the camera and lenses. The IQ and the ergonomics are just awesome. I just pulled the trigger on a GX7 which is on sale now for $728 in various places (body only). I looked very hard at the E-P5 but the extra $$ and the great reviews of the GX7 swayed me in that direction. You are in luck that so many new cameras from Panasonic and Olympus have hit the shelves. This makes the previous (very recent) models very cheap! Your ticket might be surprisingly inexpensive.... Unless of course you go straight to the top ;). Oh yeah, primes are nice but have you considered the new "Pro zoom" offerings by Olympus and Panasonic?