Downsides of trading 45-150MM for all-in-one zoom?

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
One area I'd like to use my G7 more for is walkaround videography at conventions, however constantly switching between the 14-42mm F/3.5-5.6 and my 45-150mm F/4.0-5.6 is very tedious and it can't be good for either the lenses or the camera to be switching lenses 20+ times a day. I've been thinking of selling the 45-150mm F4-5.6 and getting Panasonic's 14-140mm F/4-5.8 (Mega O.I.S, not the more expensive F/4-5.6 lens with Power O.I.S). But I have some questions:
  • I shoot in 4k. Will the all-in-one zoom have a lower resolution such that 4k shooting will be affected? (I'm not as concerned about chromatic aberration and vignetting at the edges, but if I can't max out 4k in the center of the lens, that is absolutely a dealbreaker)
  • Is there a flaw in my plan that I'm missing? Some compelling reason to hold onto the 45-150mm anyway?

tkbslc

Super Moderator
The only real drawbacks are you always need to mount a larger lens, even when you don't need to shoot outside the 14-42 range. Both the kit lenses and the 14-140 are good, but not great, optically. So I'd put them in the same class in terms of output.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just admiring the gear and testing how they look on all your various (you have a bunch; right?) camera straps requires 20+ lens changes per day. Don't be concerned in that regard. But, if it makes you feel better, you shouldn't lose the customer over that 10x lens choice. A 10X zoom just requires more compromises than a 3X zoom; but probably nothing you'll notice if you are asking here. :0

I'll add my voice to this question. (I have the 12-60mm and 45-175mm but use the 12-60 95% of the time.) Might be some interesting comments by those who have gone down this road and have experience.
Thanks.

WT21

Super Moderator
Do you use the long end for a convention? If not, I adore the 12-60 range. The P12-60 is light and cheap. The PL12-60/2.8-4.0 is more expensive, but also brighter than any of the others being discussed. If you need longer than 60, then of course the P14-140 is an excellent lens.

Last edited:

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
Just admiring the gear and testing how they look on all your various (you have a bunch; right?) camera straps requires 20+ lens changes per day.
Joke noted :) If I had more than one camera, I'd just bring them both, one lens per camera. But getting the zoom is cheaper than a second camera, hence the question.

Do you use the long end for a convention?
It depends on the convention. There have been times when I couldn't get close to a display 30 feet away, or a celebrity 40 feet away, that I was happy to have the long end.

F-Stoppers did a comparison with the Tamron and Panasonic all-in-one zooms specifically for video use:
Yes, but there are two of the Panasonic lenses, and they mixed up the -f5.6 (high quality, Power OIS, expensive) with the -f5.8 (lower quality, Mega OIS, cheaper) in the video once or twice so the results could be confusing to those who didn't know they were talking about the more expensive lens. The video reviews the Power OIS -f5.6 version against the Tamron. I shoot handheld on a camera without (for now, at least) in-body stabilization, so OIS is currently mandatory and I can't use the Tamron. I also thought the Tamron's complete focus loss during zoom was unacceptable.

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'll add my voice to this question. (I have the 12-60mm and 45-175mm but use the 12-60 95% of the time.) Might be some interesting comments by those who have gone down this road and have experience.
Thanks.
I have the 12-60mm, 14-140mm, and 45-175mm. The weather sealed 12-60mm is handy in street and indoor conditions. I just hate the jerky zooming when doing a video of the 12-60mm and 14-140mm. There is where the 45-175mm scores for video, and works great with the Panasonic LT55E teleconverter to give you an increased range. But the 14-140mm is a great all round lens which is great for a wide range of video applications. If I had to pick just one lens then the 14-140mm would be my first choice.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, but there are two of the Panasonic lenses, and they mixed up the -f5.6 (high quality, Power OIS, expensive) with the -f5.8 (lower quality, Mega OIS, cheaper) in the video once or twice so the results could be confusing to those who didn't know they were talking about the more expensive lens.
The Mega OIS starts at f4.0 and is a three barrel assembly. The Power OIS starts at f3.5 and is a two barrel assemble. It's also HD compatible, whatever that means. It's also far lighter. I have both of them, but haven't used the Mega OIS lens for nearly two years.

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
But the 14-140mm is a great all round lens which is great for a wide range of video applications. If I had to pick just one lens then the 14-140mm would be my first choice.
Thanks for the feedback. Is yours the Mega OIS or the Power OIS lens?

The Mega OIS starts at f4.0 and is a three barrel assembly. The Power OIS starts at f3.5 and is a two barrel assemble. It's also HD compatible, whatever that means. It's also far lighter. I have both of them, but haven't used the Mega OIS lens for nearly two years.
Thanks for the corrections. The "HD compatible" label is Panasonic's "blessing" of the lens for video use, which usually means no focus changes during zoom, has acceptable focus at center and edges for 1080p video, and the focus motor is either very quiet or silent. These features don't matter for still photography, but do matter for videography.

This... actually gives me something to think about. The older Mega OIS lens might not have these features (ie. might be just like the Tamron), which means I'd need to get the later, more expensive Power OIS version in order to be happy. Crud!

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Actually I'd recommend a second body. Something like the Gx85 (very inexpensive used). I occasionally use 2 or 3 bodies.

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
I've also given that some thought. The Amazon GX85 camera with 12-32mm and 45-150mm lens bundle is looking pretty damn good, but I've been trying to save up for a GH5 so I can shoot 4k60.

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
Have the Panasonic 14-140 Mk II and love it. As far as resolution goes I have several images enlarged to A1 and A2 sizes with no lack of detail. Its a great lens

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
It would be magic and brilliant if we could get the best performing lenses at a value price.
I understand that you want good performing lens for 4K. And the best lenses don't come cheap. But, it depends on what you're willing to accept. If you plan to do this for a long time or for money, I would spend the extra and get the Oly 12-100 f/4 as it will cover a lot of range, and the f/4 at the long end will allow you better low light performance. Also, the manual focus ring is super smooth and makes focus pulling real simple with focus peaking. It may not be the fastest lens, but the optics will get you some amazing 4K shots.

Another option is carry 2 cameras, one with the wide, and the other with the telephoto. The small GX85 is very portable. It could serve as a back up camera, or your main run and gun camera with the wide lens. The IBIS, or DUAL IS, is like a gimbal so low light static shots are no issue hand held. This will save you on getting more lenses, and you can use the ones you have.

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
If you plan to do this for a long time or for money, I would spend the extra and get the Oly 12-100 f/4 as it will cover a lot of range, and the f/4 at the long end will allow you better low light performance.
That is a seriously stunning lens, however I currently require optical image stabilization in my tele lenses. When all of my bodies have in-body stabilization, and I gain more money :) I'll give this a look.

Also, the manual focus ring is super smooth and makes focus pulling real simple with focus peaking.
I do see the appeal of Oly lenses; I have their 1:1 macro and it handles very well.

Another option is carry 2 cameras, one with the wide, and the other with the telephoto. The small GX85 is very portable. It could serve as a back up camera, or your main run and gun camera with the wide lens. The IBIS, or DUAL IS, is like a gimbal so low light static shots are no issue hand held. This will save you on getting more lenses, and you can use the ones you have.
This is a very likely course of action.

Thanks again for the review and advice, everyone, I really appreciate it.

gcogger

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Graeme
That is a seriously stunning lens, however I currently require optical image stabilization in my tele lenses. When all of my bodies have in-body stabilization, and I gain more money :) I'll give this a look.
I believe the Olympus 12-100mm does have optical image stabilisation.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom