1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Downside to in-camera Sharpening?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ssgreenley, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Good afternoon everybody!

Whilst piddling about with my super menu this morning, I noticed you can turn up sharpening in-camera. Is there any downside to just leaving it as sharp as possible? (Same question for contrast, while I'm at it...). Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Sharpening 101 by Thom

Remember, sharpening and noise reduction are not magical instant image improvers. They have to be applied carefully, and the camera is not careful. It's general. More specifically, heavy sharpening could create halos and emphasize noise. If you're really concerned about getting the most out of your images, shoot RAW and tweak individually on the computer.

If you just want decent JPEGs out of camera, play with one setting at a time, one step at a time. Make sure you can see the effect each change makes, as it can be subtle. Some are more destructive or situation-specific than others.

3. I like a contrasty image as much as the next person, but excessive contrast can be quite destructive as it essentially makes dark areas darker and light areas lighter. If I was shooting jpegs without the intention of any further editing I would bump up the sharpness and contrast but not to the maximum. In general I don't feel that either sharpness or contrast are greatly lacking on m4/3 cameras and lenses.

4. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the great link! My computer broke some time ago, and with my iPhone handling internets, pp is literally the only reason I would need a full computer. For now I'm a JPEG man!

@Luckypenguin, that's a very good point, and probably why i never looked too hard before for either setting. Maybe I'll do what i should have done in the first place and experiment a bit...

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You have the camera in your hands, why are you asking us what is best for you? Set up a test shot in your backyard or in a park. Put some stuffed animals, fruits, etc. on a table; try to get a variety of color and texture, and try to shoot the photos in bright light. Take test shots and see how much you like each setting. Some people love turning the sharpening slider to the edge, and some like turning the saturation way down.

As I feel I've said many times in this forum: there is no one "correct" setting. If there were, then Olympus wouldn't have made a menu option to change it! Hmmm, maybe it's time to make this my sig.